Pages

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Premier Wall Is Just Too Cool


I have been a fan of Brad Wall since he first came on the scene many years ago as the MLA for Swift Current. I don't think I have ever seen a political leader that is as big a sports fan as what our "grand poobah" is. Just after he assumed the Premier's chair, his first order of business was coming to Toronto for Grey Cup 2007 and he was like a kid in a candy store. I saw him in the Riders dressing room when I was grabbing interviews and knowing I would want some moments for posterity, he grabbed my camera and took pictures of me interviewing Reggie Hunt and Gene Makowsky. It was not the first time I had seen Brad during Grey Cup week as he was front and center with the Chris Knox story and he came to our location at the Skydome Hotel a couple of times when we were doing our thing from there. He may have been acting as the Premier during that time in Toronto, but in reality, he was just like you---a Rider fan!!!
As you may or may not know, he is a regular caller on "The Drew Remenda Sports Show" or "Sportsnight"...they changed the name of that show dont'cha know...HMMM!!! Just before I was given my walking papers, I received an e-mail from the premier suggesting that he come on every week and give his football picks. I passed the idea along saying it was something that had to be done.
I heard the first part of the show last night and not only did Brad come on to give his picks, but he managed to get BC's Gordon Campbell to come on and give his selections as well. Would I surprise you if I told you each man has a different result happening in Friday's game in Vancouver?? Even when he is hosting Canada's premiers, and has much more important things on his mind, he still finds the time to talk football. I think that is simply too cool.
Of course, Brad's knowledge of football can't be that great because he is an Oakland Raiders fan. In fact, rumour has it he has a Chicago Bears helmet in his possession. Shame!!!! I have told the Premier many times that I will know if he is starting to lose it if he shows up for Question Period looking like Al Davis complete with the windsuit.
I haven't agreed with everything he has done, but he's doing a great job in my opinion as our Premier, and he is helping spread Rider Pride wherever he goes. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that as far as I'm concerned.
-----
Eli Manning is making more money than big brother Peyton? If that doesn't tell you something is wrong with the NFL pay structure, I don't know what does. I guess the Giants don't have any problems with the economic downturn in the U-S. Yes, they have each won a Super Bowl, but to think Eli will now be making 15.3 mill a season while Peyton makes a paltry 14.17 is wrong.
-----
Like a couple of commenters have mentioned in a previous blog posting, how can those not selecting the CFL players of the month not give Stevie Baggs some consideration. I can see why Winnipeg's Siddeeq Shabazz won the award, but to give him that award unanimously is in my mind a mistake.
-----

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brad Wall would be great to sit down and talk sports with over a beer or two at the Press Box.

Matt

Mike from Vita said...

Mitch:

We both know that the CFL award will NOT choose a Rider UNLESS they have no choice. If someone is close, that individual will win. That's ok, as long as we keep winning, the individual awards will come.

John said...

Hey Mitchell, not to nitpick cuz I really enjoy reading your thoughts on here. There is lots of parody in the this league for sure but I think you are actually referring to Parity.

Take Care,
Glad to see you writing for Riderville too.
John

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more with Matt's comment at the top of this thread. Brad Wall is one of those guys that I would not hesitate to ask over for a beer or a barbq or to watch the game with. He seems much more down to earth than other politicians and comes across as one of us--albeit with a much more important job title. Add to that he has done a great job in his two years at the helm making Saskatchewan the envy of other provinces.

It does say a lot when he has a very busy agenda hosting Canada's premiers and he can still take 5 mins out and grab another premier to make football picks.

Randy

Anonymous said...

I think what appeals to me about him is this. He's not so pig headed that he can't shift or change in order to govern properly. Regardless of ideology it is impossible to provide effective government if you are to hard right or to hard left. The 2003 SP, just didn't fit that middle ground so they lost. Wall steered the ship to the middle, and he's trying to represent all the points of view in a very diverse province. So far this has been effective. Yes the Business sector is represented, but also note they have put more money into social issues than the previous government did in 16 years. It's working out well.

Obama

Anonymous said...

Mitch is bucking for a gov't job! Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course.

Anonymous said...

Gov't job or not, it would be better than the place he spent the last 10 years. I know you agree with me Mitch. My leaving CJME was the best thing to ever happen to me.