Pages

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

A Broadcasters Nightmare

Its something no broadcaster wants to be a part of, but you have no choice but to be a part of it. Its something you would rather not do and its something that is very awkward. Its something that hadn't happened to me until yesterday while doing play-by-play of the Esso Cup for fasthockey.com
In the 3rd period of an exciting game between Moncton and Notre Dame, Hounds forward Olivia Howe got pulled down while on a breakaway resulting in a penalty shot. Both myself and my grade "A" colour man Kelly Remple were watching the play so we didn't see Moncton defenceman Monika Cormier go sliding into the endboards head first. What we saw after is something we didn't like. The injured body of Cormier lay motionless on the Co-Operators Centre ice for what seemed like forever.
Medical staff were quickly on the ice to attend to the young lady, but what happened next is 20 minutes that you just hate as a broadcaster.
There is just one camera for the Fasthockey operation of the Esso Cup. The fine folks at Access have provided a camera right by our broadcast location so that those wherever can follow the game whether it be live or archived. There is no replay capability so we couldn't see what had happened.
What had been an entertaining broadcast all of a sudden meant nothing. All that matters is the health of the young athlete who is laying on the ice. You want to think that its nothing serious and that every safety precaution is being made. You don't want to think the worst and worst of all, you have to keep talking and talking about something that you really don't want to. It was awkward for me, it was awkward for Kelly, it was awkward for our camera guy who was focusssed on Cormier being worked on and then taken off the ice to a stretcher that took her to a nearby ambulance. What was worse for me was knowing a lot of parents in Moncton were watching the game because another parent had told us earlier. Were Monica's parents watching?What were they thinking? Should I tell the cameraman to find another shot or will the parents want to see every move that is being made with their daughter. Its something I haven't encountered before and its something I don't really want to encounter again. After the game, we were glad to learn Cormier was smiling as she left the ice and that she had suffered only a concussion. I would have loved to have known that before our broadcast ended, but I'm sure those that needed to know did know via cellphone or text.
The incident overshadowed what was a great game between the Atlantic and Western reps, one that ended with Notre Dame winning in overtime as they came back from a 4-1 deficit. It wasn't the only overtime game of the day. The host Regina Rebels scored late in the 3rd to tie it and then won it when Brooklyn Moskowy capitalized on a mistake by Edmonton goalie Morgan Glover to shove it past her sending the solid crowd at the CoC into a state of happiness as the Rebels won 2-1. One would think that should put Regina into the semi-finals on Friday. It should be a good time at the rink tonight as Notre Dame plays the Rebels. Word has it the buses will be coming en masse from Wilcox.
----
All I saw in the NHL playoffs last night was the overtime in Denver. All I can say though after seeing the scores is this.
--Ottawa is done.
--I don't like my pick of Chicago over Buffalo in the Cup final
--I told you Philly might pull off a big 1st round upset
--Had they lost, the Sharks might have been trying to find a way to prevent Craig Anderson from being in the rink for Game 5.
--My playoff draft team sucks. Memo to Dan Bylsma--please put Pascal Dupuis and Jordan Staal on a line with Sid for Game 5.
--Phoenix and Detroit are going 7
----
The NFL sked is out. Can someone please tell me what the hell the New York Giants have done to deserve 4 prime-time games in the first half of the season. ?????? How many of you have already started wondering about a holiday that coincides with an NFL game. (BLOGGER RAISES HIS HAND!)
-----
Calgary takes control of the WHL East final with a 6-3 win over Brandon. That doesn't disappoint me----not one bit.
----
When does Hockey Canada name the host venue for the 2011 Royal Bank Cup. Rumour has it the event is either going to Humboldt or Port Alberni, BC.
----
I still think "Hot Tub Time Machine" looks dumb, but as a child of the 80's, do I need to see this movie before it comes on the movie channels.
-----
Whoever is in charge of the music at the CoOperators Centre during the Esso Cup has to stop with the slow country ballads. Nothing against Taylor Swift, but I don't need to hear "Teardrops on my Guitar" at a hockey game. Same with Whiskey Lullaby. Give me some hard rock dammit! Actually some hard rock with some altoids or some Fishermens Friend.
-----
If they can have a baby crawl, why can't we have something where 80 year olds race in their motorized scooters? WHAT??!
----
Go to your Wednesday now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What have the crowds been like Mitch?

Mitchell Blair said...

When the Rebels and Hounds are playing, not bad. When they're not, not great. Rebels play Hounds tonight though so it should be good. Organizers say crowd count has already surpassed last year in calgary though.

Anonymous said...

Hot Tub Time Machine is good, not great. I went in with the expectations that it would be so tacky that it would be that much funnier. I think it just takes itself too serious at times. All in all I didn't hate it. So judge for yourself where that puts it.

But the movie out in theatres right now to watch is She's Out of My League. 5 stars from me. They even threw in a scene at a Penguins/Islanders game for good measure. Probably the funniest movie I've seen since The Hangover.