Pages

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Round 2 Preview

(picture courtesy Hockey News)

OK, I was 5-3 in the first round of the playoffs. Like many of you, I took Washington. Did Montreal really win that series? I said Halak would steal one for Montreal, but three? I also took Buffalo and Colorado (like I was really going to take San Jose considering their past playoff dumps).
Here's what the crystal ball has for Round 2.

EASTERN CONFERENCE

2)Pittsburgh vs 8) Montreal
'
Will the Halak show continue? Can Montreal shut down the potent Pittsburgh attack as well as they did with Washington. Will Hal Gill bother the you know what out of Sid that he did out of Ovie. Gill might be the story of this series. He was a big part of that Pittsburgh team that won last year and his size will neutralize Crosby and Malkin somewhat. I can't see the Penguins losing this series, but then again I didn't see Washington losing either--and either did you. Penguins in 6.

6)Boston vs 7)Philadelphia

I knew the Flyers would beat New Jersey. They had the better team overall than New Jersey with the exception of goaltending. Philly was a deeper team. Boston won't dazzle you, but they are very workmanlike and can win those 2-1, 3-2 games. I took Buffalo in the first round and I was roundly chastised for it by daily blog reader Rob Swallow who had a playoff beard of greatness going. He then shaved it off because his rec team lost. That facial foliage should have stayed until the Cup playoffs were over. His shaving that thing off makes me want to take the Flyers, but I can't. I will go with Boston in 6.

WESTERN CONFERENCE

1)San Jose vs 4)Detroit

The Sharks got by the Avalanche, but it wasn't because their big three did the work. Once again, Thornton and Marleau were disappointing and Dany Heatley wasn't much better. It was the Pavelski line getting it done for San Jose. Detroit just continued to get production from its top line and its 2nd line with the others chipping in as well. The Wings may have sent the NHL a message with their dismantling of Phoenix in Game 7. If the Sharks can get their big guns going, they can win this series. History has proven that doesn't happen. Detroit wins it----I'll be bold and say they win it in 5, but that is with a couple of overtime wins.

2)Chicago vs 3)Vancouver

How much fun is this series going to be? Its a rematch of last year's playoff battle that the Hawks won. Vancouver has the goaltending edge, but Chicago has better defenceman and there isn't much difference between each team's group of forwards. The key player in this series may be Ryan Kesler. If he can shut down Jonathan Toews, and chip in himself with a couple, it may turn the tide Vancouver's way. I took Chicago to win the Cup though so I can't take Vancouver. Take Chicago and take them in 7.

What are your thoughts! Who will the NHL's final four be? Lemme know!

No comments: