Pages

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Barker Calls It A Career

Hamilton Tiger-Cats safety Dylan Barker announced his retirement from football today due to a chronic back injury.

"I would like to thank everyone involved with my CFL career, especially the Hamilton Tiger-Cats organization for four great years that I will never forget. I couldn't have had better teammates, coaches, managers, and mentors, or played in front of better fans,” said Barker.

Barker continued, “When I was drafted four years ago, I envisioned having a healthy, long career in the CFL. Unfortunately, due to unforeseen injuries I can no longer continue my football career and will now pursue interests outside of football at the University of Saskatchewan. Again, I’d like to thank all of TigerTown for four of the most memorable years of my life."

After a standout CIS career at Saskatchewan, the Ticats selected Barker with the first overall pick in the 2008 CFL Canadian Draft. Barker would miss the entire 2008 season after suffering a leg injury during the preseason, but tied a CFL record with 37 special teams tackles while adding six defensive tackles and an interception in 2009.

He started 13 of 17 regular season games in 2010, before missing the 2011 season due to a back injury. Barker totaled 40 defensive tackles, 51 special teams tackles and four interceptions in 35 games during his CFL career.

“It’s very unfortunate to see Dylan’s promising football career end at such an early age. During his time in Hamilton, he was a positive contributor on and off the field who represented the club with strong character. We wish him nothing but the best as he begins his new career,” said general manager Bob O’Billovich.

(From Ticats.ca)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a waste of talent! He was so good coming out of school. Sad news.



Aaron