Pages

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Weal Does It Again

I don't know how close the Regina Pats were to trading Jordan Weal at the WHL trade deadline, but I'm guessing they are breathing a sigh of relief that they didn't pull the trigger. The Pats and Warriors met for the first time since both teams made move at the deadline and in the end, Regina gets the two points with a 3-2 win over their main rivals in overtime with you guessed it---Jordan Weal getting the winner just 30 seconds in.  The two points leaves the Pats sitting 6th in the East --one back of Saskatoon and just four back of division leading Moose Jaw.

The Pats showed they can play with the Warriors and if these teams were to meet in the playoffs, it would be one helluva matchup. What scares me right now though is that if the season ended today, Regina would play the Kootenay Ice and after what I saw from Kootenay on Wednesday, I do not want to play them if I am Regina as they just smother you and stifle any offensive creativity. There is a long ways to go yet though, but Regina hockey fans should get ready for what I think will be a tremendous stretch run with every game being a big win as far as the standings go.
------
Its NFL Championship Sunday. The Ravens and Patriots will go at it first to see who the AFC representative is in the Vince while the nightcap will see the Giants and the 49ers going at it. I am taking the road teams. While San Fran deserves every accolade it received for putting 36 up on the Saints last weekend, the Giants have a much better defence and pass rush while the Ravens believe it or not are 6-0 against playoff teams this year. They come to play in the big game and I believe Ray Rice will have a huge game against the Patriots much like he did a couple of years ago when Baltimore ran roughshod over New England in Foxboro.
------
I had to watch the East-West Shrine Game yesterday to watch the performances of U of S Husky Ben Heenan and U of R defensive lineman Akiem Hicks. Both did not disappoint. Heenan saw considerable action for his team and looked pretty good although there were a couple of times when he got bull-rushed pretty bad and ended up on his backside. As for Hicks, he also made some plays and got some love from the NFL Network's Mike Mayock. However, Mayock also had this to say about Hicks...."He has gotten over the stigma of being Canadian". What? Excuse me? The stigma of being Canadian? What exactly is that stigma Mike? Did Ben Heenan have that problem this week? Have other Canadians in the NFL had to battle that? Hicks isn't even a Canadian. I didn't understand that comment, but what I did understand is that Hicks may have cemented himself as an NFL draft pick and will for sure be going to an NFL training camp. By the way, it did look cool to see both the Rams and Huskies logo on the NFL Network.
-----
I've said it once and I'll say it again. Tom Renney has to go as coach of the Edmonton Oilers. What a pathetic effort against the Flames. This team is sinking closer and closer to having the first overall pick again---in fact, they could get that because they have the 2nd worst record right now and could easily win the lottery. Trade Hemsky for whatever you can get---preferably a defenceman and ship Smyth out as well with one of those wink, wink deals that St. Louis was famous for doing with Keith Tkachuk as they would trade him at the deadline only to re-sign him in free agency.
------
A major plus of having Winnipeg back in the NHL was proven again last night. Most of the country got Montreal-Toronto on Hockey Night in Canada, but we got Florida versus the Jets. LOVE IT!!! By the way, if the season ended today, Toronto would not be in the playoffs. Perhaps Toronto would like Sam Gagner or Hemsky with Luke Schenn coming back seeing he seemingly doesn't fit in the Leafs plans anymore.
------
I don't know about you, but I think Sidney Crosby's days as an NHL'er are done.
-----

I checked out Jack Keatons BBQ and grill up on Rochdale. I didn't have any complaints after chowing down on three good-sized beef ribs. I don't know if I would make a special trip to that end of the city to eat there when there are several good restaurants in my end of town, but if I was up in that part of town and was looking for a place to eat, it would be high on my list.
------
With all this talk of hospitals being overcrowded in Regina, one must explain again as to who thought it was feasible to close down the Plains Hospital? Regina does need a 3rd hospital if you ask me.
-----
Why hasn't free agent first baseman Prince Fielder signed with anyone yet? I don't think the Blue Jays are in the mix and I know the Cubs aren't. However, the question has to be asked as to why Fielder still is a player without a home as spring training inches closer.
-----
I never thought I would be one of those people to get into eating healthy and working out everyday. I was correct.
-----
Enjoy NFL Championship Sunday!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

so much for the Oilers being a playoff team by now, eh?? Thy suck!

Anonymous said...

FLA-WPG? If that game was played in my backyard I would close the curtains!

Mitchell Blair said...

Anytime CBC puts on a game other than the Leafs and Habs I'm happy. You would close the curtains and I would just leave the house or turn the hose on them.

Anonymous said...

Keatons is pretty good. A hidden jewel in the NW.


Neil

Anonymous said...

We've seen the last of Sid I think. Too bad as we'll never know how good he was or could have been. The same goes for Lindros. Makes you wonder if Gretzky coould have survived in today's game.


Garry