Pages

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Answering The Question




If you have read this blog since the end of the Vancouver Olympics, you will know I have been asking just what happened to the puck that was used when Sidney Crosby scored to give Canada the gold medal. I could care less about the stick and the gloves that were used, I wanted to know where the puck was and who had it. The answer finally came Thursday.

A story has come out saying the puck has been found. The question now is who gets possession of the most famous piece of rubber in Canada. You would think the puck would be on its way to the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto. That is where it belongs. However, VANOC doesn't think so. They believe they should keep the puck and ensure that it will be shown to Canadians from coast-to-coast. How dumb is VANOC? Don't tarnish what was a great Olympics with this. How many people do you think go through the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto on a daily basis. Is there a VANOC museum that we don't know about? Will that museum be crossing the country? Will I be able to walk into the Conexus Arts Centre or Evraz Place and see the helmet Alex Bilodeau was wearing or the sled Jon Montgomery won on. If VANOC has plans for such an exhibit, they should perhaps announce it. I'm sure they could keep the puck until that exhibit has gone from coast-to-coast and then give it to its rightful owner---that being the Hockey Hall of Fame. If this is something that drags on, it will make VANOC look extremely petty.
-----
I may have unwittingly answered the question as to why the Regina Pats underachieved this season while down at the Brandt Centre on Thursday. I was there yesterday to speak with both Colten Teubert and Jordan Eberle to get their feelings on their junior career and what their thoughts about the future are for the Access broadcast of the game tonight. I spoke to the two of them after what was a light-hearted practice (Eberle had a pizza delivered to Teubert during practice) that was the last one of the year. It was then that I discovered why this team hasn't performed the way they should. The music coming out of the dressing room was not the type of music one would want when they are trying to get in the zone. It is not the music to get one pumped up, it is not the hard rock anthems you would expect. It was......it was......it was Jessica Simpson? Yes, this is what was blaring through the soundsystem.




GOOD GOD! Is this what this team has been listening to all year? Who is responsible for this? I don't think you can pin this one on Brent Parker and I think Curtis Hunt would openly vomit than have to listen to two minutes of Jess. Immediately, the great Cliff Mapes said its not me, I'm an 80's hard rock guy. (Cliffy once again showing why is he a stellar individual). It leaves me to believe you can now pin this season's problems completely on athletic therapist Greg Mayer. I can see him with that music in his IPOD, I can see him lazing around at home with that going through his CD player and I can definitely see him cruising Albert Street with Jess playing in the background. Who's kidding who, I'm sure if I had asked Eberle and Teubert if that was what was playing in the Team Canada dressing room before they went out for overtime against the Americans that they would say yes. Shame on you Greg...then again, what would you expect from a Lions fan! OK, all kidding aside. I'm glad it was the last practice because that has to be the only excuse.
By the way, I know a lot of you will be at the game tonight, but try to catch the interview with both Jordan and Colten. The interview with Teubert is fantastic as he keeps it as loose as he can.
While a lot of attention is being focussed on this being the last home game for Eberle and Teubert, lets not forget its the last home game for Brett Leffler, Matt Strueby and Mitch McColm as well. I'm sure they are going through the same emotions as Eberle and Teubert. The only difference is Eberle and Teubert are about to begin their pro careers while the other three don't know what the next step is.
It sounds as if there will be a big crowd for this one as Regina comes out to watch the best junior hockey player do his thing one last time on Brandt Centre ice. With Jordan being two goals away from 50, I think everyone in the building will be hoping he can get the milestone goal. If he should, one has to wonder just how long the ovation might go for. I hope that's a question that can be answered.
----
It sounds like Tiger Woods is ready to come back, but when. One story has him coming back for the Masters while another one says he is going to play in the Arnold Palmer Invitational in two weeks. I would think the right story is the one that says Tiger is back in two weeks. I can't see him coming to the Masters having not played in such a long time. He needs a tune-up tournament before Augusta. He needs to see what the climate is going to be like before competing at the Masters. We'll see. I can only wonder what will be done to try and prevent people from taking potshots at Tiger as he attempts to regain his title as the world's best golfer.
-----
The playoffs will go at the Brier with Saskatchewan once again on the outside looking in. Will Saskatchewan ever win another Brier? Will this province ever have a rink that can be considered a favourite. When there are so many good womens rinks in this province and so many good junior rinks, it makes me wonder why there isn't a mens rink that can be considered a threat to win the Brier. One has to think Sunday's final will go between Brad Gushue and Glenn Howard. I think I'd root for Howard in that one.
----
Good luck to the Lady Cougars basketball team. They start play at the CIS championships in Hamilton Friday night with a game against Laval. You will be able to watch that game on Access 7 as soon as the Pats-Brandon game is over. Access will also have a semi-final and the 3rd place game this weekend. The championship game is on TSN2 Sunday afternoon so here's hoping you get a good chance to take a look at the U of R girls as they try to bring the championship home.
-----
Jeff Tyler is the High Impact Wrestling heavyweight champ? Really! When does Billy Bones get the strap? Jeff Tyler? C'mon!
-----
Sudsy, sorry to hear about your loss. My thoughts and sympathies are with you my friend.
----
Thanks for checking in. I may not say it enough, but it is appreciated.

As you go into your Friday, I leave you with this......

If you're looking for breakfast in bed, may I suggest sleeping in the kitchen?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

VANOC should take their head out of their ass. The puck belongs with either Crosby or the HHOF. Furlong says all Canadians don't get to Toronto. Yeah, here's a tip for you John, we all don't get to Vancouver either.

Eberle gets his 50th in the last seconds to send the game into overtime and the Pats end up losing in a shootout.

Anonymous said...

Mitch. Is tonight bittersweet for you. Its the last you see of Eberle in a Pats uniform, but you know that means good things for the Oilers. Did you ask him for tickets during your interview? Have a good broadcast tonight. Always enjoy listening to you and Kelly. I work until 8 so I'll have the game on the PVR. Wish I was there though.

Anonymous said...

You must know a different Cliff Mapes than what I do. HA HA

Will the Pats come out to Rick Astley or George Michael tonight? Make the last one a good one boys and oh yeah, if Mr. Teubert wants to lay out a couple of Wheat Kings, I'm OK with that.


perry

Mike from Vita, MB said...

Time to bring back the Richardson's, Garnet Campbell's foursome and Rick Folk's crew, LOL. I hope that Simmon's lead, Steven Laycock, a former World Junior Champion would skip his own rink. We need some of the "young pups" to take over. This generation of men's curlers has been a let down.

Anonymous said...

Mike brings up a good point. Laycock won a world juniors and so did Kyle George. Laycock is what a lead and I don't know if George is curling anymore. It sounds as if the Simmons rink is breaking up and I'm not a huge fan of Jordison. I don't see the drought ending anytime soon. It is sad though when Manitoba and Alberta always put out quality teams at the Brier and we have a team that barely makes it to a tiebreaker if that.

Randy

Anonymous said...

do you think there a chance that Teubert could play as a 20 year as a pat

Anonymous said...

There is a chance that Teubert could be back as a 20 year old. L.A has 16 young D. There also is a small chance that Ebs could be back.