Pages

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Is There A Better Way?

A lot of people are talking about the shootout last night between the Oilers and Ducks. It went to the 10th round before Anaheim finally won. A lot of people says its so exciting and so dramatic. I'm not one of them. I hate the shootout--always have, always will.
I hate the fact that players give it their all when out on the ice over 65 minutes, yet it comes down to a skills contest to determine who gets the win and who gets the loss. It doesn't come down to a skills competition in baseball, basketball or football, so why hockey?
I realize you can't play sudden-death overtime in the regular season and I'm not big on the tie. I guess there in lies the problem. How do you solve a tie game after regulation? If I had an answer, I would gladly give it, but I don't.
-----
Can someone please explain to me how Graham James gets bail? Seriously! How can this man be allowed back on the streets. Unless this ends up with Graham and David Frost getting together and their car plummets off a cliff, I see no positive reasons as to why this dirtbag is released on bail!
-----
Did anyone really think Derek Jeter wasn't going back to the Yankees? Did anyone really think the Yankees wouldn't overpay for his services?
-----
Who hires a head coach first---the Eskimos or the Riders?
----
How epic will the UFC's first foray into Toronto be. Are they having it at Skydome or the A-C-C. If it is at Rogers Centre, it will be one or two levels beyond huge. I wonder if any of my good-natured UFC watching neanderthals would think of taking a road trip for that.
-----
Congrats to Dave Van Horne for being recognized with the Ford Frick excellence in broadcasting award. I spoke with Dave a couple of years ago on the CJME sports show when we revisited "Black Monday". I watched a lot of Expos baseball with Dave and Duke Snider growing up. His home run call of "Its up and up and a-wayyyyy" is still a favourite.
-----
Pete Sampras had a lot of his tennis trophies and memorabilia stolen. What do the thieves do with this stuff? Rod Pedersen mentioned this a few weeks ago when we were doing the Cage. What is the reason for stealing this stuff when you can't do anything with it. Rod was referring to the theft of Logan Pyett's gold medal from the World Jrs a couple of years back. Is this stuff just sitting in a box somewhere and if it is, do you even tell anyone you have it for fear of getting snitched on. I don't understand it.
-----
International hockey is coming to the SJHL. Sweden's under 17 team will play the Battlefords Stars, Humboldt Broncos, Flin Flon Bombers and La Ronge Ice Wolves in late December and early January. I'm guessing the Swedes will have a team that will have some players on it that we will hear about in the next few years.
-----

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Someone in the Canadian justice system needs to answer who a scumbag like Graham James gets bail. Ridiculous, yet considering Canada, not surprising!

Anonymous said...

UFC event is going in Skydome. It will be the biggest venue they have ever had. I'm guessing they get more for this than what WWE got for Wrestlemanias in same locale.


Brent