Pages

Thursday, December 23, 2010

UFC To Saskatchewan???



UFC Canada's director of Canadian operations Tom Wright was a guest of mine on CKRM's Sportscage Wednesday afternoon. The former CFL commissioner is having a blast working with the UFC and admits its been a pretty nice start as he has seen successful pay-per-views in Montreal and Vancouver with one coming shortly in Toronto.

Being a UFC fan and knowing there are many in Saskatchewan, I had to ask Wright if there were any plans to bring the UFC to our fine province. He said he would love to see the UFC visit either the Brandt Centre or Credit Union Centre and that if all went well, it could happen perhaps as early as 2012. Keep your fingers crossed.

Scott Schultz made his weekly appearance on the show to talk Riders. Like many others, Schultzie pumped up the tires of Mike McCullough who had re-signed with the club earlier in the day. When it was suggested that the team needs to strengthen its interior linemen, Scott also defended Keith Shologan saying the guy is a monster and that we have only just started to see how good he is. Agreed! I've said it before in this forum and I know Rod has on his blog as well, but the old 96er has just gotten better and better and better in his role on the Cage. If he gets too good, TSN might come calling---or CBC or Sportsnet if they ever get back in the game. When you look at it, guys like Matt Dominguez, Mike Abou-Mechrek and Schultz have all done quite well doing radio and TV this year. I wonder who else on the team would be great as an analyst when their days are done. I think Jason Clermont would be outstanding in breaking it down.

GX 94's(Yorkton) Craig Stein stopped in to talk a little SJHL. The voice of the Terriers and Millionaires (who has helped me out immensely since I started working with the league as have many others) talked about the first half of the season. It was a La Ronge-Yorkton final last year and that surprised many, but it won't surprise anyone if we see a rematch this year seeing the two teams are atop their respective divisions.

I also had a little bit at the end of the show that I wished I could have spent more time on but didn't. L-A Lakers coach Phil Jackson is upset that the Lakers have to play on Christmas Day. He doesn't think there should be any games on Christmas Day and the NBA will have five games with the NFL having one. Jackson brings up a good argument, but I have no problem in sitting back on Xmas afternoon after the gifts have been opened and finding some sports to watch. In fact, I think if the Pats ever played a game on December 25(which I know will never happen) that I would go just to get away for a while. Perhaps I'm in the minority in that thinking. I would like to know what you think about games being played on Xmas Day. For what its worth, the NBA takes January 1 off.

Have you got your Xmas shopping done yet? My wife convinced me to go to Chapters last nite and it was nutty in there. We went to the Southland after just to poke around and it was relatively quiet. That surprised me a little, but I guess when Zellers isn't open yet and the Harbour Landing Wal-Mart is just down the street that will happen. When is the Zellers going to open in the Southland? I had said earlier this month that the sports memorabilia place in the Southland had a picture of Jordan Eberle scoring his first pro goal against Calgary and that might look good hanging on a wall in Scruffy's basement. I see now that same store has a photo of both Ebs and Taylor Hall. HMMMMMMMM????

I'm not a political guy, but while in Chapters last nite, I browsed through John Gormley's book that he has written on Saskatchewan politics. I have a tremendous amount of respect for John and I quickly looked through a couple of chapters. I think I might have to pick that one up. If you are a political junkie, I suggest you do too.

As I watch the news and see the weather that people in the Maritimes are going through and the rain that is falling in California and Arizona, it makes me think that maybe its not that bad here and that we shouldn't complain as much as we do about the weather. Then again, we do like to complain in Saskatchewan.


Q: What did Adam say on the day before christmas? A: It's Christmas, Eve.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's a great story on the Leader Post webpage under Rider Rumblings. It's not in the paper but on their web. You Scruffy and all the other NFL trumpet blowers should read it. Better yet you should post it.

Tom

Anonymous said...

UFC in Sask would be awesome!!!



BK

Anonymous said...

Att Tom:

Who cares? Its just one guys opinion. Some think he's bang on like you, others (like me) think for the most part he is full of crap. The NFL is the superior league. Ask any Rider what league they would rather play in if they were born in the U-S. If you think the CFL is far superior, you don't know a lot about football.

Sean

Anonymous said...

ATTN Sean;

I couldn't give a crap if every stadium in the NFL collapsed like the one in Minnesota did. Merry Christmas.

Tom

Anonymous said...

Question; Why do Canadian NFL fans like Sean feel that they have to bash the CFL?

Anonymous said...

Attn Tom:

You can have your opinion and I can have mine. You don't like the NFL, I do. I'm not bashing the CFL either, I just tend to like the other league a little more because there are better players, its packaged better, etc. etc. I've been a Rider seasn ticket holder since 1997 when I could start affording them. I also try to make one or two NFL games a year. Have you been to an NFL game Tom? The atmosphere outside an NFL game is way better than any CFL game I have ever been to. Try it sometime. Merry Xmas to you too.

Sean