Pages

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Welcome Back Winnipeg!

It wasn't the day that Winnipeg Jets fans were hoping for---or was it? The NHL officially returned to the Manitoba capital Sunday afternoon in a day that some had to think would never happen as the Jets (version 2.0) came back to the NHL fraternity in a day that no one who was there or watched it will forget for a while. In the end, the Montreal Canadiens won it with a rather one-sided 5-1 victory, but the real winners of the day were Winnipeg and the fans who had waited so long for this day after their original team went to Phoenix.

Before the puck dropped, the Jets remembered Rick Rypien in a ceremony that left yours truly a little misty-eyed. If you missed it,........



That was one classy move on the day. The other was Jets p x p voice Dennis Beyak giving way in the 2nd period to Brian Munz to let him be a part of this history making afternoon. Munzie will be doing a lot of the radio games when TSN/Jets are on as Beyak will have the TV call, but for Brian to be a part of the inaugural contest and get his first taste of the NHL on a historic day was something I'm sure he cherishes.
------
Since he signed with the Seahawks, many have asked me if I will cheer for Brandon Browner because of his antics when he was in Calgary. Today, the answer was a resounding YES!!!!! The reason can be found right here
The 92 yard interception return sealed a 36-25 upset win over the New York Giants. The Seahawks are now 2-3, which are better than the Eagles and Falcons, who were favoured to perhaps be the NFC rep at the Vince. I didn't expect the Seahawks to come close to the G-Men today and if the truth be known, they should have won this one by about 14 or 21, but they couldn't capitalize on opportunities given to them. The unexpected ones are always the best.
-----
San Francisco scored 48 points? I'm sorry, but the Niners are not as good as their 4-1 record would indicate.

How many Pro-Line tickets were affected negatively or positively by the last play of the Jacksonville-Cincinnati game. The Bengals scored a TD on a fumble return on the last play after the Jags tried one of those hail marys with a series of laterals.

Everyone was counting out the Steelers. As much as I hate that team, you never count out the Steelers.

How do you stop the Packers?

What was Matt Schaub thinking on the final play of the Houston-Raiders game. Perhaps Al Davis was looking in.

Had the Vikings blown a 2nd half lead this week, I know of many who may have decided that's it when it comes to supporting the purple.
----
What made me happier. The Seahawks win or the Oilers win? The Nooge (Ryan Nugent-Hopkins) makes an early season statement by getting his first of the year late in the 3rd to set the stage for a shootout.
-----
The Riders won't give us a hat-trick of putrid performances will they? Do you believe that Ryan Dinwiddie is the starting QB? I remain skeptical.I'm guessing Darian will lobby to get the start and if he can do what the coaches ask him to do, number 4 will be in there.
-----
With it being Thanksgiving, how could I forget what might be the funniest moment ever on television.....

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was at the Jets last ever game and I didn't think I'd ever see yesterday happen. I was a blubbering fool watching the HNIC telecast wishing I was there. They could have lost 10-1 and I wouldn't have cared. All that matters is the Jets are back!!!

Dwight

Anonymous said...

I'm with you. I think when the Riders come out for their first offensive series, they will be led by #4. He's as stubborn as a former NFL quarterback who wore that number proudly.

JN

Anonymous said...

How do you stop the Packers?
Thanks for the WKRP vid. I don't know if I've ever laughed as hard as I did when I first saw this one.

Craig

Anonymous said...

Glad to know I'm not the only one that thinks Grandpa has something up his sleeve. I'm expecting Durant to start.

Anonymous said...

Anyone who has a connection to the SJHL in years gone past has to feel good for Brian Munz. He worked hard and he got his shot. Hopefully Dan O'Connor gets the same shot some day as he has worked hard as you know.

Speaking of the SJ Scruffy, I don't know who replaced you at the SJ office, but they are doing one pisspoor job. The information coming out is relatively none compared to last year. Met this Chow guy a couple of weeks ago and he comes off as one giant "fake". Hopefully those that hired him realize what a mistake was made cuz he has done nothing to improve the league's profile. In fact, he has tarnished it in my opinion.

Shawn

Anonymous said...

I agree with anon 1. The Jets could have lost 10-1 and I couldn't have cared. Watching the NHL back in Winnipeg yesterday was an unbelievable experience. I have tickets for a couple of games in December. I can't wait.


Mike

Mitchell Blair said...

Thanks for the words Shawn. You are not the only one that has expressed that sentiment. Mr. Chow has an agenda for his league and he is trying to implement it as best he can. In the end, the fans will be the judge as to whether or not he is accomplishing what he wanted.

Anonymous said...

Never EVER count out the Steelers. HA HA HA!!!

Anonymous said...

Just a question for those answering someone else in the poll question. Who?? Henrik?? St. Louis?? Jagr??. Who??

Anonymous said...

Add someone in Weyburn to what you are preaching Shawn.

Anonymous said...

And Kindersley

Anonymous said...

Just admit that you felt kinda dirty cheering for that cocky piece of crap ex-Stampeder. Cmon. Its OK!!

Nick

Anonymous said...

The Jets are back, the Detroit Lions are 5-0 and the Tigers are in the ALCS. The Riders have spoiled things in my sports soup, but I will accept their failure in the wake of the other three.


Scott

Anonymous said...

Throw an SJ fan and parent of a current player from Saskatoon in there. You did a great job last year and this new guy seems to be a little out of his element from what I've been hearing. I guess the league didn't realize that a scout doesn't make a good league leader.

Anonymous said...

I managed to be at that game on Sunday. I was standing outside the MTS Centre at 1130 just waiting for the doors to open with my old Keith Tkachuk jersey on. It was an unbelievable experience. I will admit as the game started, a few tears were running down my cheek. My team is back!!!

Kim