I've been a little busy over the past couple of days, but there are a few things that I haven't talked about that I do want to mention. Here we go.
1. If you heard the "Sportscage" Monday afternoon, you heard Rod Pedersen talking about how much CFL commissioner Marc Cohon loves the Riders and that he was glad they were in the Grey Cup. Many in Edmonton felt the league wanted the Riders to win the Grey Cup. I don't think that's the case, but I do think the league was glad the Riders were in the big game. Why wouldn't they? The Riders are "the team" in the CFL right now. They are driving the bus. Look at the money they are generating for themselves and the league. Most teams see their biggest home draw when the Riders come to town. If Cohon is openly cheering for the Riders to win that is wrong because the commissioner shouldn't be doing that (nor should any commissioner), but like Gary Bettman wants the Penguins or Capitals in because of Crosby and Ovechkin and like Bud Selig wants the Yankees in the World Series, Cohon wants the Riders in the Grey Cup because of what they bring to the table.
2. Ken Miller is debating as to whether or not he wants to return to the Riders as head coach. It looks as if he will say he is returning and I think that is great news for the football club. I realize Miller has his detractors (although I'm really not sure why), but the numbers don't lie. With Miller around, the Riders have gone to three of the last four Grey Cups and they might have gone to a 4th if it wasn't for the failed Michael Bishop experiment. The man knows what he's doing. He has a genuine love for his players and his players return that love. This is a guy whose only fault may be his age because it brings him closer to retirement than it should. If Miller was in his mid to late 50's, he could coach here for a number of years and threaten the win totals of Eagle Keys. Rider fans should be very confident that with Miller at the helm this team will continue to win.
3. When do we start talking about Anthony Calvillo as being one of the greatest QB's that the CFL has seen? He's not in Warren Moon territory, but would you put him ahead of Doug Flutie? How about Damon Allen? His numbers stand up to anyones. Calvillo now has another health scare that he is facing, but I am sure he will come out of that and be back firing to his targets again next year. In fact, I don't know when he may call it a career. He could right now if he wanted to and no one would blame him, but it would seem as if he has a few years left.
4. Boise State lost a chance at a national US college football championship this past Saturday when they were upset by Nevada. That loss is believed to have cost Boise State 4 1/2 to 5 million dollars. I mention the money because the players that represent the University aren't supposed to see a nickel or else the program gets slapped. I just find that and other parts of the BCS so ridiculous. US college football needs a playoff to determine who the best team is instead of having this endless controversy year after year after year.
5. The SJHL Hall of Fame ceremonies in Humboldt last weekend was a tremendous affair. Yes, the scheduling of the event did hurt publicity because it went on the same weekend as the Grey Cup, but those who were inducted and those who took in Saturday's banquet could have cared less. It was a tremendous ceremony and it was a weekend that those who were inducted will always remember. Many acquaintances were renewed, many stories were told and good times were had by all. Isn't that what you want?
6. I don't know if its the fact that Al Murray is no longer the guy helping form the team, if its the fact that the rest of the world is catching up or if its that many more juniors are making the NHL, but I don't think Canada's roster for the World Juniors is as strong as it has been in past years. If the Canadians are once again to grab gold, they will really have to make a statement and work their tails off. Here's hopin'
7. Does anyone have a clue as to who will be in the Super Bowl? There are many teams that you could say has a shot at being in the NFL's big game. There are at least 10 teams that you could say right now has a legitimate chance of hoisting "The Vince". In a prediction that could change weekly, I'm going to say a Falcons-Chargers Super Bowl.
8. If Jon Gruden takes over as head coach at the University of Miami, it will leave a big hole on Monday Night Football. Gruden has been great on MNF. He is better than John Madden if you ask me.
9. I don't care what the city says when it comes to snow removal. A grader should be going down streets that are well travelled. I can no longer go down one road that I normally take to get home because of the ruts that have been created. I saw a guy go out of those ruts and spin yesterday morning just about taking out a couple of kids. I did phone the city, but all I received was the lip service I thought I would get.
10. Guys, how many of you shaved off your mustache after Movember. How many of you liked it so much that you are keeping it?
11. The Honky Tonk Man is coming to High Impact Wrestling. He will be here for the December 10 card at the Victoria Club. Oh how I would love to see him smoke his guitar over the head of Rex Roberts. I hate that guy!!! Methinks the feelings are mutual. Lets just say there's no love in the air when we converse with one another. Isn't that right Rob Vanstone?
12. Sidney Crosby is MacLeans newsmaker of the year. Really? Sid scores the "golden goal" and now he is being feted for it. Crosby had a terrible Olympics and if the U-S had won, I think he would have been roasted. If you are going to give this honor to someone in the sports profession, I'd give it to Jonathan Toews for his play in Vancouver AND with the Hawks or I would consider Joey Votto (National League MVP) or Jon Montgomery whose skeleton gold might have been the 2nd most popular gold that Canadian athletes received in Vancouver.
13. There was no NHL on TSN Tuesday night. Yes, the Hawks and Blues were on TSN 2, but I know a lot of you don't have that. Was it coincidence that on a night where there is no hockey on TSN or Sportsnet, that the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show comes on. I think not!