Pages

Friday, March 18, 2011

An Apology to All Shaun Marcum Fans

Its a curse! It has to be. Baseball players in Florida and Arizona at spring training should be publicly warned when I take them in a draft. This past Tuesday I got involved in a fantasy draft. I took Jays 2nd baseman Aaron Hill knowing he wasn't at 100 percent, but also knowing (or at least reading) that he would be ready by opening day. I took Yankees pitcher Joba Chamberlain only to find out he might not be ready by opening day because of an injury suffered that day and on the day after the draft, Colorado 3rd baseman Ian Stewart comes down with an injury that could prevent him from being on the Rockies opening day roster. Yesterday, I am just combing through some things when I see that former Jays-current Milwaukee starter Shaun Marcum had to leave his spring training start Thursday with shoulder soreness and that the Brewers are quite concerned. GREAT!!!! I had Marcum winning between 15-20 for Milwaukee this year. Someone should have told him. This being said, I also took young Chicago sophomore shortstop Starlin Castro who is said to be a star in the making. I may have cursed the Cubs this year. I'm sorry! It could be a long season. I now just wait for the next member of my squad to go down. Can I get an extra DL slot?
-----

The way the Montreal Canadiens talked about it after it had happened, Max Pacioretty would never play hockey again and that he was lucky to be alive after what happened at the hands of Zdeno Chara. That was on March 8. Nine days later, Habs coach Jacques Martin says he may return for the playoffs. WHAT? His career was seemingly over last week as the outrage over the Chara hit hit its peak and now he's a possibility to return. CMON!! Perhaps Zdeno should only get probation now and not life in prison as some have suggested. In all seriousness, there is no way Pacioretty should be allowed back on the ice this season even if Montreal gets to the Cup finals. Get him ready for September.
------
If you watched Day 1 of the NCAA mens basketball tournament, you know why its considered to be one of those must-watch events on the sporting calendar. Buzzer beaters, upsets, emotions galore. Many of the games can right down to the wire and it was a great day of hoops. I hope the same can be said tomorrow.
----
I want TBS back! For that matter, I want WCCO in Minneapolis back as well. Let me take that one step further and say you can ditch all the Boston stations as far as I'm concerned and give me all the US networks from the Twin Cities.
------
I downloaded the demo for Tiger Woods 12--The Masters on Thursday night. It allows you to play the 18th hole at Augusta. The game comes out at the end of the month. I will be buying it! Look out Amen Corner, here comes Scruffy!
-----
Congrats to "The Polish Princess". Cougar lady basketballer Joanna Zalesiak was named a CIS 2nd team all-Canadian on Thursday night. The Cougars have put out a lot of quality players over the past many years and Zalesiak is right up there. I don't think she's in the Cymone Bouchard or Trena Mott stratosphere, but she is definitely on that 2nd level and I think she has two years to go. If that isn't a reason to watch Dave Taylor's squad play next year, I don't know what is.
-----
The SJHL divisional finals begin Friday in Yorkton and La Ronge. Both series will be outstanding and I wouldn't be surprised to see both go seven. No matter who wins, the league final will be great.
-----
Charlie Sheen's tour is apparently going to make stops in Toronto and Vancouver. Are you going?
----
What does it say when people in Vancouver and Calgary wouldn't wear green on St. Patricks Day choosing instead to wear Lions orange or Stampeders red. That's sort of sad. Would we do that here? Yeah, sadly I think I know the answer.
----
On St. Patricks Day, its too bad that the NHL's best Irishman didn't play. I would be talking of course about Alex "O" vechkin. Yeah, I know that's bad, but its late and I'm tired.
----
Have a good Friday!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

If Marcum was lost for the season, it would make that trade palatable for me. I still don't know what AA was thinking when he traded him. It was great having Gregg Zaun on the Sportscage yesterday. I hope Rod does more baseball throughout the season. Perhaps a weekly report hosted by the old Scruffster??

Matt

Anonymous said...

I'm not so big on TBS, but I hate the Boston stations. Why can't we have the Minneapolis ones?

Anonymous said...

Nice try Montreal. Paint the worst-case scenario and try to get a division rival suspended. It doesn't work so a "miraculous" recovery is underway. If Pacioretty plays one shift in the playoffs, it will show what hypocrites the Canadiens are.

Grant

Mitchell Blair said...

Those are Rod's decisions and not mine Matt. I'm just a bit part in the show, but if he wants to do one and he wants me to do it up, I'd be more than happy to.

Anonymous said...

I think it says a lot about the CFL when people in other cities refuse to wear another team's colours even though they should. I LOVE IT!!!!

Anonymous said...

Nice shirt ya goof!!



G33

Knox Tox said...

Marcum deal was a steal!! He was a number 3 guy on any other contending club , and to get Lawrie for an DL A-lister is fine by me. Scruffy , you need to get on the Pedro Alvarez bandwagon....