Pages

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Triple OT Thriller

There might be some bleary-eyed people in Estevan this morning. They are bleary-eyed because they didn't get a lot of sleep after staying at the old rink until midnight. The hometown Bruins and the Melville Millionaires engaged in a beauty on Monday night as the two teams went to triple OT before Melville ended it with a 5-4 win on Michael Rogoschewsky's 3rd of the series.

I had been out and about last night so I was listening to Craig Stein do the game on GX94 in Yorkton, but in the 3rd, I went online to watch the game seeing all teams are now streaming their games. I get the Estevan announcer. I don't know if it was their regular play-by-play guy Blaine Weyland doing the call (it didn't sound like Blaine), but I had to laugh at the end. Going into the 3rd overtime, I could hear someone in the booth griping about the fact that it was going to be an early morning and that there wouldn't be much sleep. The announcer, who was fine, was losing it at times when Estevan would have a chance to score, but when Melville scored, it was a quick, quiet little "Rogoschewsky scores" and you never heard another thing. No goodbye, no final score, no nothing. I'm sure it wasn't that way on Craig's broadcast. This is not meant to be a slam on whoever was doing the game in Estevan. I always just like the different reactions from the two different teams when an OT goal is scored. I know that had Estevan scored, the announcer would have gone batcrap crazy and good on him. Why wouldn't you?

Melville will try to wrap the series up tonight at home in the archaic old Melville arena. I'm guessing the place will be the place to be in town on a Tuesday night. I'm guessing some from Yorkton might make the trip as well as the Terriers take on the winner of this series in what will be an entertaining matchup. As for the Bruins, one has to wonder if that was the last game for them in their aging facility. The brand new 2300 seat Spectra Place Arena is ready to go for next year and it will be the best building in the SJHL. If that was the last Bruins game at the Estevan Civic Auditorium, it was one to remember.
-----
I see March is coming in like a lion----unfortunately, its not the Detroit Lions.
-----
The Cubs are looking for a public address announcer for their games and are inviting people to send in their resume. I wonder if they would pay for the commute?????
-----
Will Amber Holland ever get home??
----
Was NHL trade deadline day just a major league bust for the networks. Yeah, I know they get the viewers. but that was painful television to watch.
----
A lot of people think the Penner to Kings trade was a good one. I'm still not certain on that. Nothing against Colten Teubert, but he has not progressed the way one would think after being LA's first round pick a couple of years ago. I like the draft picks, but I think a better prospect could have been pried out of Dean Lombardi's hands---like a Thomas Hickey perhaps! We'll see.
------
The best trade of the day might have been Jason Arnott to Washington. He will provide some much needed playoff experience to a team that has all the tools but doesn't know what to do with them. Perhaps Handy Manny needs to be coaching the Capitals.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mitch, that WAS Blaine Weyland doing the webcast in Estevan last night.

Anonymous said...

I've been going to hockey games in Estevan for 20 years and that was one of the best games I have ever seen in that old barn. If it was the last one, (and I hope it isn't) it was a dandy. GO BRUINS!!!


Dale

Mitchell Blair said...

If that was Blaine doing the game, he did a great job of it and he sounds different on the webcasts than he does on the radio. It was a great tilt to watch regardless of whether you were there or watching it online.

Anonymous said...

As a fellow Oiler fan, you have to be kidding that the Penner trade was not a good one for the Oilers, right? What else would you want for a 40-50 point getter making over $4 mil/per and being well over 200lbs that has the ability to vanish for games on end in today's NHL?

Don't get me wrong, I love the way Penner has played over the last couple of years and really didn't think he would get moved. But seeing a 1st rounder, a prospect and at least another 3rd coming back, why not make the deal? It also frees up more cap room which is an aspect of this trade that is overlooked. The Oilers get rid of a big ticket player without getting stuck with salary like the Souray fiasco. Was Penner the power-forward answer on this team, I don't know, but based on market value, I think the Oil did VERY well for Penner.

Is Teubert the next coming of K-low or Paul Coffee? Hardly...but lets take what we can get and move on. The future is looking great in Oil Country!

Brendan

Sammy said...

Going to miss the old barn in Estevan but Spectra Place will be unbelievable and the city deserves it.