Pages

Sunday, August 7, 2011

The Minions Have Invaded

Those are the newest additions to Casa de Blair. If you have kids and you have watched the movie "Despicable Me", you would know that these are minions. If you have kids and you went to the Queen City Ex, you may have some at your house too. Minions were one of many "must have" stuffys (stufffed animals) at the QCE this year and my seven year old daughter Annika couldn't get her hands on just one of them----no she needed two. While the day at the fair cost Mommy, Daddy and Grandma a fair chunk of change, it surprisingly didn't cost a lot to win these two little suckers and three other things that you could likely get at Dollarama.

We hit the fairgrounds at 1130 this morning and it was well after 8 when it was time to come home, but Annika didn't really want to even though the feet of all three of her companions were barking loudly and likely will into tomorrow as well. However, as a parent, you realize that the Queen City Ex is one of those necessary sacrifices that have to be made and the joy on your childs face once the day is over makes it somewhat tolerable.

I'm not the fair lover that I used to be, but I do commend everyone at Evraz Place for putting on a great show. I love the fact that Kiddieland is over by the Co-Operators Centre and I love the fact that the Co-Operators Centre allows for some more things to take place. From what I understand, there have been record crowds this week and I can understand why as once again there was something for everyone to do.

While I'm not the fair lover I used to be, I will never stop being a people watcher. It truly does amaze me as to what does walk up and down the midway. I'll just leave it that because I think you know exactly where I am coming from.
-----
As I looked at the drop of doom ride on the midway, I couldn't help but think of the Saskatchewan Roughriders. One minute they are sitting at the top of the CFL mountain and without warning, they plummet to the earth quite quickly. The Rider Nation is still seething over what happened Friday in B-C and they should be mad. The effort was one that just wasn't up to the standards that have been set by this organization. The offence is in a mess and defensively, guys like Freeman and Shologan are playing their tail off, but they can't stop everything as was evidenced on the Empire Field turf. Is this really the team that has been to the Grey Cup three of the last four years. I know the front office isn't enamoured with what is going on and Jim Hopson did speak on Saturday when the team came back from the airport. It sounds to me as if Friday's game against Calgary could be one that either sets this team up for what could be a good 2nd half of the season or it sets them up for that rebuilding phase with many, many individuals (players and coaches) in that could be looking for work stage. Alas, I won't be around this week due to the fact that I have to go to Alberta for a family reunion, but I will be watching Friday Night Football to see if the woes continue or not. I even wonder if a win will cure all. Right now, I don't think that's the case.
------
Some are wondering if Andy Fantuz is the cure-all for the Riders. Having number 83 back in town would not hurt the Rider cause, but he won't be around for a while yet. It does seem as if he is going to have a tough team cracking the Bears lineup and that is good. However, Andy can still market himself for 10 days after being released if it happens so we'll see. What's funny is that everyone has seemingly forgotten about John Chick. I don't expect Chick back in Saskatchewan and maybe everyone else doesn't either and that's why he isn't being talked about the way Fantuz is. I do ask this. If Chick comes back, it will be for good sized coin. Fantuz will return to good sized coin. Does that mean a veteran making some good sized coin is let go. If so, who is it?
-----
The PGA championship goes next weekend in Atlanta. If the PGA has any marketing sense whatsoever, it needs to have Adam Scott and Tiger Woods paired together for the first 36 holes. Did anyone see Tiger's former caddie Steve Williams go off on Tiger after Scott had won this week's stop in Ohio. It was Williams who got more press than Scott as Stevie answered question after question after question and most of it wasn't too favourable when it came to his former employer. Can you imagine the tension that would be on the course if these two were paired together? It would make for great TV? How about if the two were paired on Sunday? That could be the highlight moment of the year if Scott and Woods were battling for the title with Stevie in the middle.
------
I've bought into the Brett Lawrie hype. I think the BC native is going to be a great major leaguer and that he could put up some huge numbers for the Blue Jays. He gave us a glimpse this weekend of what type of player he could be at the plate. There was talk this week that Toronto may have talked to Cincinnati about a trade involving Canadian Joey Votto (one that would have seen Jose Bautista go to the Reds), I don't know how serious those trade talks were, but if I were Jays GM Alex Anthopoulos, I would kick the tires of Justin Morneau and see what it might cost to get him out of Minnesota. Morneau hasn't been the same since suffering a concussion over a year ago in Toronto. If there is still some game left, having two good BC boys at first and third would help the Jays in a variety of ways.
-----
That's all I got. It was a long day and its time for some much needed sleep. Have a good one!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

IF and that is big IF both Fantuz and Chick become available here is a possible solution. Andy still is in his option year of his contract, so the Riders would only have to pay him at most for 8 games. The big cost comes in re-signing him. If John becomes available, he to would only play for 8 games, that too would not cost the team much this year. If the Rider brain trust is creative they could find ways to fit his signing within the salary cap. However, with if both are re-signed it would cost the Riders a lot more next year.

There is a high degree of probability that this is Geno's last yr, so that will create some room for next year. In addition, Barrin is not getting any younger either. If both of these players do not come back for 2012 plus the increase in the cap, that should leave the Riders some room to re-sign Fantuz, Chick and free agents.

Anonymous said...

I would love to see Scott and Tiger paired together on Sunday.


GB