Pages

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Its Over!

When the 2009-2010 WHL season started, I looked at the Pats roster and saw good things. Curtis Hunt was back as head coach, Jordan Eberle and Colten Teubert were back, Jordan Weal had a solid rookie season under his belt, Brett Leffler was in his final season as a junior and Damien Ketlo had taken over as the number one goalie. It was a team that no one thought would win the Eastern Division, but it was a team that many thought would get back into the playoffs after Dale Derkatch failed to do that in his lone season behind the bench.
Those who blamed Derkatch for the failures of 2008-2009 can start looking for a new scapegoat as the WHL playoffs won't visit the Brandt Centre for a 2nd straight year. A 5-2 loss in Swift Current Tuesday night means Regina is eliminated from the playoffs. The gamble that GM Brent Parker took at the trade deadline by keeping Eberle and Teubert has blown up in his face. Parker thought keeping those two and acquiring Carter Ashton would put him into the playoffs. That won't happen. You know the Regina hockey community is already upset and you have to wonder who will take the fall for this year and what the future holds. Methinks it might be a long summer.
----
After what I had seen for the last two weeks, I knew they would have trouble keeping my interest and I was right. I just could not sit there and watch either the Flyers-Lightning game on TSN or the Oilers-Nashville game on Sportsnet without changing channels to see what else was on. The hockey just isn't the same as what we saw. We were spoiled with the goings-on in Vancouver and it will take some time to get used to the trap-happy, defensive minded life in the NHL again.
-----
After being a team in Vancouver, TSN and Sportsnet have once again gone their own way and they will both be fighting tooth and nail to get the scoop today as the NHL trade deadline is this afternoon. It was interesting watching both networks try and announce the Ponikarovsky to Pittsburgh deal first. If it matters, Bob McKenzie won. I don't know if we will see a lot of significant trades today or not. I think one or two big name players will be sent elsewhere. Names that I believe will be moving include Tomas Vokoun, Nathan Horton and Ethan Moreau. Don't be surprised to see Vokoun end up with the Hawks or Flyers.
-----
It was the first Tuesday of the month so that meant 15 percent off day at Sobeys. I usually hate hitting the grocery store at any time for a variety of reasons, but it wasn't that bad tonight. Everyone was moving at a good pace, people weren't holding other people up by having conversations or leaving their cart in a position that makes it impossible to pass. Everyone knew what they wanted instead of standing there staring at the shelf for an inordinate amount of time before picking up that can of soup. I did laugh though when in the meat aisle I saw those Maple Leaf meat in a box thingys on sale from their normal price of 9.89 to a special low price of 9.88. Who's kidding who, I felt like buying roast beef for the block with that one cent saving. CMON!!
-----
If you watch CBS's coverage of NFL or college basketball, you know who Gus Johnson is. I think it was ESPN's Jason Smith had some fun with Johnson by taking some of his excitable play-by-play and making it sound as if he was doing figure skating at the Olympics. It was hilarious! If I can find a link to it, I will post it.
------
You know whenever I have a beef with the city, I just phone up City Hall and ask to talk to someone. Apparently, some have other ways to try and get their message across. I'm guessing it was quite the show at City Hall on Tuesday as a man went streaking through en route to mayor Pat's office. Brendan Cross will be in court later today to answer to charges on the matter. What is sad is that at one time Brendan Cross was an intern at CJME when I was there. Thankfully, he was clothed at all times he was working with me. You don't think he ever did a newscast while naked do you? Uhhhhhhhhh....moving on! Actually, Brendan's last day at CJME provided one of the funnier stories I have from my time in that building. He didn't even play a major part in the story. Lets just say Murray Wood unwittingly bamboozled and screwed up the morning news run at CKRM because their news director at the time had more faith in Murray than his own reporter. We had a great laugh that morning at RM's expense.
------
As I blogged yesterday, I have caved in and have joined the Twitter universe. You can find me at http://twitter.com/mblairregina. I already have 16 followers. Is this how Manson got started? I'm guessing the 16 of you read this blog. Like I said before, DO YOU HAVE NO LIVES?! Then again, I will know if Stacy Keibler is ever coming to Regina. At least I hope I will. I feel like a creepy stalker. Is that how you feel when you're "following" someone! Anyhow, if you are one who decides to follow, I don't know what you're expecting, but thanks! Speaking of Stacy Keibler, she soon may be replaced by Kelly Kelly as hottest WWE diva of all-time. KK is a definite first-round pick.
------
Is it just me or does the movie "Hot Tub Time Machine" look like one of the worst movies ever made? I see this trailer on the same day that I see Sarah Palin do a stand-up comedy routine on Leno. Its time this day came to an end.
------
Why hasn't Wes Cates signed with anyone yet. Could his playing days be done?
-----
As you head out to start your Wednesday, I ask you this....
If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?
-------

10 comments:

Kevin said...

I had the exact same reaction. I couldn't bother to watch the Oilers / Preds game - then again, I've had a tough time watching any Oilers game this season.

I think the charm of the Olympics - much like all other major tournaments - is that these teams are stacked with good players.

30 teams in the NHL seems to be a bit too much. If they were to drop down to say 24 (and it'll NEVER happen) maybe the game would be better?

Anonymous said...

If Parker himself doesn't take the fall, I won't be back next year. Its time this guy own up and let someone else do the job. We have had enough of his act.


Kevin

Anonymous said...

The Gus Johnson-figure skating bit was one of the funniest things I have heard. I almost had to pull over I was laughing so hard.

Anonymous said...

Is it two for one day on here if your name is Kevin today? Seriously, what is the deal with Cates. Pedersen tried telling us he was off to Toronto but it didn't happen, there doesn't seem a willingness for him to re-sign here. Do you think he is done? Wes didn't look anything close to the threat he was in 2008, but I think he can rebound. Are they going to let Charles be the guy who carries the mail or does Taman have some hot-shot rookie coming in? You know what's going on. Spill the beans!

Anonymous said...

I felt the same way after the World Jrs. ended. Watching the Pats after watching Russia, Sweden, Finland, etc. was painful. I'd have felt that way even if the Pats were winners.

Vokoun to the Hawks would make my day!

The best looking diva in WWE today is Maria, and the best all-time is Trish Stratus.

R$

Anonymous said...

The best junior hockey player in Canada, two WJ gold medallists, two of the top three scorers in the WHL, a power play that is top 5 and this team ISN'T going to the playoffs. That's amazing. Parker surely has to realize its time he step aside as GM and bring someone else into the fold. Then again it is Parker so I'm guessing it will be status quo until daddy sells.

JN

Anonymous said...

Best WWE Divas of all-time

1)Elizabeth
2)Trish
3)Sunny
4)Torrie Wilson
5)Ashley

Stacy and Kelly Kelly don't make the top 5 Mitch. Sorry!


Hacksaw Jim Duggan. HEY-YOHHHHHHHH!

Anonymous said...

They should have Onrait in a screen at the bottom right so we can watch his activity. That guy is pure comedic genius!

Anonymous said...

Regina will not have a winning hockey team until Brent Parker leaves. What more proof do we need?

patsprincess said...

While I'm not in agreeance with everything BP does fo the Pats, I don't think you can blame him for not winning. He has built a winning team. What I don't understand is how the talent is ON THE ICE and performing as they should (as it clearly shows in the the leading score ratings), how is this not translating into wins? I think there is some sort of strategy break down. We are getting the goals but not converting them into wins. Perhaps we should look to a combination of the defense and Curtis Hunt. I think we have really skilled defensemen, but obviously something isn't working. We should ask the "expert coach" we hired what the heck is going on. He always has an excuse, so what his excuse for the whole year?