Pages

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Bye Bye Baggs

Unless he pulls off a Ricky Foley, the dream of some Rider fans of having Stevie Baggs back is gone. He has signed a rather lucrative contract with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.

I don't know about you, but I grew tired of the act that is Baggs last year when it was announced John Chick was the Rider nominee for defensive player of the year and not him. To say the guy didn't take the news well is an understatement. He wanted to know who the voters for the award were and rumour has it, he actually phoned the CFL office to make sure the numbers were right. While the Riders did not say anything in public, it was something that got under the skin of more than one person. Baggs' true character had come out. We found out perhaps why he didn't make it in Edmonton or Winnipeg. There is no "I" in team, but there is "ME" and it was very obvious Baggs was in love with himself. I don't think the Riders really wanted him back. Yeah, he's a good football player, but one with some baggage that some vets in that room I think not wanting to experience again.
----
I've been arguing with some Eskimo supporters over the past few days about Ricky Ray. I think the Edmonton quarterback is done and that its time for the Jared Zabransky era to begin. They say he can't do anything when he has nothing to work with. That is a valid argument as the Edmonton receivers don't invoke fear in anyone and their offensive line is a little porous. New GM Eric Tillman gave Ray a vote of confidence yesterday and Eric does like Ray, but I think his days in Edmonton are coming to an end. Tillman knows when a quarterback is near the end of his rope (ie: Kerry Joseph) and he has to know that a young guy is what is needed. It will be interesting to see when and where Eric strikes and what his first move is. Can he fleece someone the way he fleeced Hamilton in the D-J Flick deal. We'll see. The question has also been asked about whether or not Richie Hall will stay. I can't see it. Hall interviewed twice for the Rider job losing out both times to Kent Austin and Ken Miller. His track record in Edmonton hasn't been that great and Eric will want his own guy in there.
----
I never, ever thought George Bell's single season home run record would be broken by Jose Bautista. Its interesting to note that now that he is approaching 50 dingers that there is talk about Bautista and whether or not he is clean. Look at him. He is!
----
I have never been to Wrigley Field and I want to get there soon. The Yankees and Cubs play a three game set in Chicago next June. The time might never be better. What a baseball weekend that would be!
----
Dan MacIntosh mentioned the word "snow" on the CTV Noon weather Thursday. He then admitted he was pulling our leg even though the white stuff is expected in Alberta. That's a dirty trick MacIntosh...a dirty one indeed.
----
The Edmonton Oilers have a rookie playing for them by the name of Dominik Schlumpf. This is one of the great all time names in any sport. The guy sounds like he could be the villain in some movie. I know nothing of his history, but I hope he makes it.
----
Are we ever going to see what "Rogers Sportsnet One" has to offer?
----
Who should I pick up on the waiver wires for my fantasy football teams? All three need some work.
-----
I have a 15 year old daughter and a 7 year old daughter and I can proudly say that neither one of them is going to see Justin Bieber tonight. However, the 15 year old did buy her sister the Justin Bieber CD for her birthday. I think I'd rather have her singing "Hollywood Whore" by Papa Roach as she is known to do when driving with her mother than singing Justin Bieber.
----
I am still calling for the Riders to slap Calgary around Friday night.
----
The Seahawks are in Denver this Sunday. The last time they visited Denver was December 3, 2006 in a game that I saw live. I had the chance to watch the pre-game warmups from field level in what truly was an incredible day capped off by a last-second Seahawk win on Sunday night football. It made the walk from Invesco Field back into Denver beaking at Bronco fan Rob Vanstone the whole way much more enjoyable. Rob isn't saying much about the rematch. I wonder if he wants to watch what will be an epic display of the game somewhere on Sunday. Two men will walk in, but only one will walk out. To avoid Rob even further embarassment, I will not even get into the story of his behaviour and actions on that December 2006 night. It was though one of the funniest things I have ever seen.
---

4 comments:

Switzer said...

Danny Mac is the man. Best thing to happen to Regina TV since Johnny Sandison.

Anonymous said...

Roger Sportsnet one is now available on Shaw Direct. Must have happen sometime yesterday.

Darren

Anonymous said...

Correction to this posting. It should be bye bye Bagg$$$$$$$$$$. He did turn out to be an egotistical jerk. Like the Riders, I became very sour on him after his "I should have won" stance. Chick is ten times the player he is. Proof of that is Chick is still in the NFL and Baggs is in Hamilton.

peter dalla riva

Anonymous said...

My daughter is 9. We bought her tickets to Black Eyed Peas about a month before the "Bieb" was announced. She told kids at school she was going to BEP and couldn't go to both. So I didn't even have to be a parents. My daughters both like him but I am glad she went to BEP. From all indications it was a hell of a show with some good production value. I am sure the Bieber show, won't be much more than him standing there singing with a few lights.