Pages

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

What A Joke!

I wouldn't have given you two cents to go to the NHL exhibition game in Saskatoon this year and it looks like it would have been money saved.
As I thought, the Calgary Flames will not have their marquee player in the lineup tonight when they take on the Islanders at Credit Union Centre. Jarome Iginla is not playing and Miikka Kiprusoff is serving as the back-up goalie. Who else on the Flames would you really want to see?
Did Iggy play last night in Calgary against Phoenix? Could the Flames not have sat Jarome last night and had him in the lineup tonight seeing he is the marquee attraction. I'm sure those at the Saddledome wouldn't have cared knowing they will see him 40 more times this year. NHL teams can dress whoever they choose, but this is a damn poor excuse for trying to grow the fanbase in Saskatchewan as far as I'm concerned.
The Islanders are the home team and they are bringing their star player John Tavares. Considering two of their other top players are hurt (Streit, Okposo) that is a good thing.
If I was promoting this game, I'd have egg on my face today. For those of you who bought tickets, I feel sorry for you. However, I know you likely won't go next year---if there even is a game next year.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

So you get on the Flames three years into this experiment? I think if you are a Flames fan you should be emailing Ken King and expressing your lack of satisfaction with this. Being an Islanders home game the Flames do not care and haven't since they played the Panthers back in 2007...

Anonymous said...

Well said. I don't know how much of a fanbase there is in Stoon for the Flames, but I'm guessing it will dwindle after tonight. I'm thinking Regina is becoming more of an Oiler town because of Eberle. It would be great to see him come back one day wearing Edmonton colors.


Brent

Anonymous said...

I see your point but the team needs to do what's best for them and not what's best for "marketing" purposes. Going to any pre-season game is the risk you take about not seeing the starters. Travel to Calgary if you want to see them play!

Anonymous said...

The Flames know they have fans in Saskatchewan. They should cater to that fan base and play their stars. Many kids in Saskatoon were hoping to see Iginla play tonight and now that won't happen. Brutal move by Calgary!

Anonymous said...

Coaches do not select who plays in these games based on "marketing" or what a local fanbase want to see. They play who they want to evaluate at that given point in time. If you can't understand that, it's your problem.

Rob

Anonymous said...

Went to the games last year and was disappointed. I wasn't wasting my money on it again this year. Many others agreed. Only 5-6 thousand seats have been sold. I wonder why? People in Regina didn't like the fact Ottawa-Tampa didn't dress stars and is there a game there this year? No, because Regina hockey fans are smart enough to see a scam.

Anonymous said...

Its not a joke until Drew Remenda says it is. His word should be taken as gospel!!!

Anonymous said...

Uh Ottawa dressed their stars last year, thanks for paying attention... Pederson raved on and on about how many stars the Sens put on the ice... Thanks for coming though GREAT INSIGHT

Mike Stackhouse said...

How much were tickets? I'd go to an NHL preseason game for about the same price as a major junior game. Otherwise, I wouldn't cross the street.