Pages

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Ho Hum, Another Labour Day Win




I will start this off with one from my good friend Jayson Hajdu in Grand Forks, North Dakota. Jayson asks "Do you know what a Bombers fan gets on his college entrance exam?" The answer "Drool!".


Yes, once again Winnipeggers ( or should I say Loseipeggers) have come to our fine city, dropped money down in our hotels, bars and restaurants and then watched their team lose to the /=S=/ in a game that won't go down as one of the all-time greats in this annual matchup.

The final score was 27-23 and while I'm sure much of the province could feel their you know what getting a little tight in the 2nd half, Team green prevailed. Just some thoughts....

1) The Rider offence is like the kids book "The Little Engine that Could". I think I can. I think I can. I think I can, (eight play, 91 yard drive for game changing TD in the 4th)...I knew I could, I knew I could, I knew I could.

2)Darian Durant showed how good of a quarterback he is by still managing to throw for 300 yards despite the fact he was pressured all day. He wasn't even being given an elephant most times before being under siege by guys like Odell Willis and Phillip Hunt all day long.

3) The decision to replace Louie Sakoda with Eddie Johnson paid huge dividends today. How bout that kickoff that rolled dead right at the end line thus giving the Riders a big single point.

4)While Barrin Simpson laid out Buck Pierce in the 3rd quarter, the hardest hit of the game has to go to Darian Durant. He flattened TSN's Wray Morrison in the first quarter. Give Wray credit, he bounced right back up and stayed in the game. I'm guessing though he will use this as an excuse to say his back has stiffened up or something and he needs two weeks off to recuperate. Why not?

5) It has become obvious that opposition defences are trying to take away Weston Dressler and Andy Fantuz. If that is going to happen, Darian must find a way to get more attention paid on the trio of Getzlaf, Bagg and Rodriguez.

6) Speaking of Barrin Simpson, the guy was far and away the best player on the field. Definitely his best game as a Rider

7)) Dominique Dorsey's fumbled punt return has sent his approval rating in the Enron area.

8) I have no time for those who criticize Prechae Rodriguez and his supposed lack of effort. The guy was giving it his all when he had the opportunity today.

9)
I have my Rider loonies thanks to a very nice woman who was handing them out as change for beer tokens. She had no problem giving me five. YES!

10) Jim Hopson needs to start lighting up a celebratory cigar or something after a win. He said to me after the game today that these games stress him out. I guess the man with the easiest job in the province has to have some stress does he not?

11) Buck Pierce needs to retire. We will never know just how good this guy could have been because of injury. He has what I was told is a dislocated elbow. At least its not his noggin---but really he took a couple of shots today that could have given him yet another concussion.

7 comments:

Chris in the 634 said...

Drop Dorsey from the roster for a week and add Charles to give Dorsey a wake-up call. Drop Goodspeed and add Bell on the o-line b/c there needs to be a change.

Mike from Vita, MB said...

We were very fortunate that the game was in Regina, otherwise we would have lost. Kudos to the Bombers...they were definitely playing more cohesively. If Buck didn't have bad luck, he'd have no luck at all. The guy is an accident waiting to happen.

Anonymous said...

Barrin Simpson=beast. That is all!

Anonymous said...

Don't worry Mitch, we will return the favour and spend money in their establishments next weekend------and then remind them just who the better team is AGAIN!!!


Mark

Anonymous said...

Point #5 is the most glaring one. Teams are trying to take away Fantuz and Dressler. Bagg, Getzlaf and Rodriguez are good, but they are not in the class of our slots. Berry needs to find a way to get them open. Of course, giving our quarterback time to throw would help.


Darrell

Anonymous said...

Any chance of sending one of those Rider loonies to BC. I asked my son to do it, but I haven't heard from him since.


Kevin in Kelowna

PS: Good blog!

Anonymous said...

I heard we are hooped with Dorsey because we needed to dump him before September 1st to avoid his salary hurting our cap. The man is having no luck in the punt return department - give Charles or Foord a chance (can't get any worse).

Offensive line - what the hell!!! I remember at the beginning of the season a lot of bragging was going on cause we had so many veterans vying for jobs - we need young blood. If they can get their act together we won't get past Calgary.

Iron Mike