Pages

Friday, September 17, 2010

Game On!!!


The Estevan Bruins celebrate the first goal of the 2010-2011 season as Richard Hubscher puts one behind Melville's Kyle Jahraus in a 6-4 Bruins win as the SJHL season started Thursday night.
Its been a long time since I was in the old rink in Melville. In fact, its been decades. I forgot how antiquated that old girl is. I'm sure the people of Melville will be sad to end a chapter of hockey history when they move into their new facility next season. I also forgot just how many NHL'ers have played for the Millionaires.
I knew guys like Ron Hextall, Brian Propp and Chris Kunitz had donned a Millionaires jersey at one time, but I didn't know guys like Kelly Buchberger, Cowboy Bill Flett and Richard Zemlak had. Even the great Eddie Shore played in Melville. One thing I want to do when at these SJHL rinks is tour the lobby and look at the trophy case and the names. While the trip won't be fun, it will be interesting to walk through the Whitney Forum(the home of the Flin Flon Bombers) to see what type of shrines they have for someone like Bobby Clarke.
-----
I spoke to Bruins goalie Joel Danyluk after the game for an interview that will go up on the SJHL website within the next few days. I went to introduce myself to Danyluk and he said "You're Mitchell Blair!!". A sheepish yours truly said yeah, how did you know that. Danyluk's response "I googled you". Point to you Joel!
-----
I heard some people in Melville complaining about the first SJHL power rankings of the year in which the Millionaires sit at the bottom. I wanted to chirp "Damn that Mike Stackhouse", but I couldn't(and I don't know why!!!). It was probably just best if the person who created those rankings (a person that has a successful blog as well and is not named Pedersen) kept his yap shut to preserve personal safety.
------
Not a lot of confidence amongst many members of the Rider Nation going into tonight's game against the Stampeders. I understand the down mood, but this football team isn't done yet. If Henry Burris doesn't start well, he seems to struggle. The Riders are a very good football team at home and they will give Calgary everything they can handle. I am still confident they can beat the Stampeders tonight. I've been wrong before, but this time I hope I'm not.
----
I saw a pamphlet for new Sport Select games last nite. Uh-Oh. This can't be good for someone like me. There are "pools" tickets and "props" tickets. SIGHHHH!!!!
----
Who invented Taco in a Bag? How did man get along for so long without this?
----
New Oilers American play-by-play man Jack Michaels apparently botched the pronounciation of Penticton this week when talking about where the Oiler rookies were playing. He apparently said Pentic-tonne instead of Pen-tic-ton. Somewhere guys like Rod, Dennis Beyak and Regan Bartel chuckle.
------
Whenever I hear the name Jack Michaels, I think of the Heartbreak Kid Shawn Michaels or a clothing store.
----
Get your green on!! Are you allowed to wear your jersey at work?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jersey is on! I think the Riders play better tonight and squeak one out late in the 4th.

Good game between Bruins-Millionaires. The old rink is quite a beaut isn't it.


Trevor

Anonymous said...

What are these new Sportselect games that you speak of?

Anonymous said...

I'm not really sure as to why you are so confident about tonight. I think our sellout streak ends tonight and that the Riders are going to be like pigs being led to slaughter.

Larry