Pages

Friday, December 30, 2011

Its Just Not Fair

(picture courtesy Edmonton Journal)

We knew it would be a dirty beating and it was. Warriors forward Quinton Howden (pictured above) scored the first of many for Canada on Thursday night against Denmark as they improved to 3-0 with a 10-2 win.
Truthfully, I could only take one period of this as I --and many others-- were expecting a one sided affair. You have to feel sorry for Denmark who just isn't in Canada's class, but they learn and perhaps someday can give hockey powers a game.

I don't know who will play goal for Canada in the New Year's Eve game against the U-S, but I would go with Scott Wedgewood. He just seems to be more poised than Mark Visentin. Perhaps I'm still a little bitter with Visentin for last  year's 3rd period collapse in the gold medal game, but he scares me and that pre-tourney effort against Sweden did nothing to instill confidence in me.
-----
Did you see the Alamo Bowl? If not, you missed one helluva football game if you like offence. I kept waiting for ESPN to say this was two guys sitting in their Bristol studio playing NCAA Football 12 as the Baylor Bears and Washington Huskies kept scoring and scoring and scoring. When it was over, the Bears won 67-56. The reason I tuned into this one was I was given a tip from a very reliable source that Washington quarterback Keith Price is on the Riders neg list. I haven't watched Washington play this year, but I might start watching them next year. Price was unreal going 23 of 37 passing for 438 yards and four touchdowns while adding another 39 yards and three touchdowns on the ground. The two teams combined for almost 14-hundred yards of total offence. Unreal!
-----
I knew the snow would come eventually and I also knew that Regina drivers would show their ignorance to the road conditions. What is it about some people that just won't allow them to slow down when the roads are like a skating rink?
----
It was great talking to Garrett Mitchell in "The Sportscage" on Thursday. The former Pats captain and Regina boy now toils for the Hershey Bears of the American Hockey League. I laughed when he said he had to phone up Mom to see how much laundry detergent he puts in a load and that he had to learn to cook for himself. We all have to do it sooner or later Mitchy. I'm glad he is getting his shot with the Capitals main farm team, but I can only wonder where the Pats would be if he were still in the lineup. Dare I say the surprising team would be challenging Moose Jaw for first in the division.
------
Muchmusic just isn't the same anymore.
------
Mrs. Scruffy watched a show the other night on TLC called "Extreme Cheapskates". The people profiled in this show make the crowd at High Impact Wrestling seem like aristocrats. I now truly have seen the bottom of the barrel. They profiled one family who is so cheap that they use cloth toilet paper and then wash it afterwards. ?????????  Is this the best that TV can give us these days. If it is, just keep rolling out sports thank you very much.
-----
CKRM's Phil Andrews had never heard Rod Pedersen call a hockey game until the other night when he did the Canada/Finland game. Like many others, he wonders why Rod isn't still calling hockey and calling it in the bigs. Speaking of Rod, he said today that he is getting reports from many people that "The Sportscage" has been in good hands since he left. I knew Rod was many things, but I didn't think he was that gullible. Stop lying to the man people!!!!!!
-------
I'm in dire need of a haircut. The place where I normally go was insanely busy when I went on Thursday as was a 2nd nearby option. I headed off to Vic Square to do some banking and as I trotted through the Zellers, I thought I would check out Magicuts or whatever its called and see if I could get it trimmed. I walked in to see no one in the shop but the two people "on the job". One told me I couldn't get in until at least 1 (it was 10:45). I finished my shopping at the mall and walked back past the Magicuts to see that the two people were still there drinking their coffee having a chit-chat. Seriously, if you don't want to work just close up the shop. Ridiculous! Why I have never put my money down there before, I certainly won't ever give them the opportunity to take it again.
-----
Where will Henry Burris play next year and will he be booed as vociferously as he has been in the past when he comes to Mosaic Stadium? There's no way he comes back to the CFL wearing green is there? I can't see it, but this is the CFL.
-----
With Sidney Crosby gone, who is the face of the NHL? I would go with Jonathan Toews or Patrick Kane.
-----
Just once I would like to see the morning news say "Today has been cancelled, go back to sleep."
----

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Burris in Green? I hope not. Where would the fun of booing Burris be? Could you imagine the daily Vanstone columns about him? YIKES

Anonymous said...

The one game I won't watch at the World Jrs is Canada vs whatever slug team they are forced to play. Its bad hockey.

Anonymous said...

If Price plays the way he did last night, he will never ever see Saskatchewan or the CFL. The kid throws a nice ball though. He's got NFL written all over him.

Greg

Anonymous said...

Stamkos?

Anonymous said...

At the rate he's going it won't be long before Regina's own Jordan Eberle will be the new face of the NHL. He's a human highlight reel. Has he ever scored a garbage goal?