Pages

Friday, December 6, 2019

This And That






--Welcome to Friday and the usual assortment of things running through my muddled mind.   As always, these come in no particular order.

--Jason Maas is the Riders new O-C.  How do ya feel about that?  I'll be honest.  I wasn't the biggest Stephen McAdoo fan and I am not the biggest Jason Maas fan.  His actions in Edmonton were somewhat embarrassing, but as many have said as an O-C he will not do what he did as a head coach and his actions on the sideline should be civil.  Actually, he will be upstairs in the coaching box and not the sideline. 

If Maas can bring the same type of offence to the Riders that he had in Edmonton when Mike Reilly was the QB then fine.  If not, I'll pass.   It will be a work in progress for me.  That being said, there is no doubt he can do the job so let's see how it goes. 

--Rumour du jour.  The Riders have had some informal discussion with Ricky Ray to be their quarterback coach and mentor Cody Fajardo.  I'll believe that one when I see it. Not saying it couldn't happen, but I'm a little skeptical on that one. 

--There is talk Chris Streveler may get an NFL opportunity as teams could liken him to a Taysom Hill in New Orleans. I can't buy that. 

--Did Zach Collaros NOT take part in the Grey Cup parade? Did I hear that right? If that is the truth, why?  I know he got out of Regina as quickly as possible after the 2018 Western semi-final loss, but why would he not want to be in Winnipeg for the Grey Cup parade---one that he is partially responsible for.  Then again, maybe he didn't want to party with Streveler because he couldn't keep up to him.  

--Winnipeg's mayor wants the province to chip in on the cost of the Grey Cup parade.  They don't even know how to win right in Winnipeg!  What a dumb request!  Verrrrrrry Winnipegish!

--How bad were the Dallas Cowboys on Thursday night?  That was one pathetic performance.  Jerry Jones has said he won't change coaches in mid-season, but how can he keep Jason Garrett around. It looks like the players have quit on him. 

--Week 14 NFL Lock Of The Week ---  Packers over Redskins 
   Week 14 NFL Upset Of The Week ---Dolphins over Jets 

--As much as people keep saying it, I just don't see Taylor Hall in Edmonton.  I see Taylor Hall in Colorado, but not in Edmonton.  Will the Oilers take a run at him in free agency if he gets there?  I see that happening, but he won't be joining his old team via trade this season unless New Jersey is going to eat a lot of his salary and I just don't see that happening. 

--If Mitch Marner hated Mike Babcock so much, why did he re-sign with the Leafs?  Oh yeah, $$$$ cures unhappiness. 

--Connor McDavid has 51 points in 30 games as does his teammate Leon Draisiatl.  That translates to 140 points this season. No player has had 140 points since Mario Lemieux in 1995-96.  Looking at the NHL scoring race, there are many who could get 100 points this season.  I don't know what the record is for most 100 point players in a season, but we could have a new record this season.

--The Vancouver Canucks put Alex Burrows into their ring of honour this week. Alex Burrows?  When I think of great Vancouver Canucks, I don't think of Alex Burrows.  He had one big goal for the team and that was it.  If you look at who the Canucks have in that ring of honour and who they don't, I think you will see where I'm going with this. 

--The Pats could finish their 7 game Agribition road trip with a winning record.  I don't think many thought the team would even win three on the trip.   It may be too late for a playoff spot, but this team is finally getting rewarded for its effort.  They are back home Saturday to face Red Deer in the Teddy Bear Toss game.   Has the building been aired out yet? 

--The Rush season has started? Is it just me or am I seeing an absence in Rush marketing in Regina.  It certainly isn't to the level it was the last couple of years ago. Perhaps they think they don't need to cater to the southern Saskatchewan audience as much as they used to..

--That's all I got.  Have a great weekend!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...


Interesting that teams didn't think about Maas as an HC. THe stress of being an HC is high. I think he overstepped his boundaries several times and did look foolish, but an OC is a different animal.

I think he will be fine!

Anonymous said...


I have also heard the Ricky Ray chatter. It may not be as far-fetched as you think Scruffdog!

Anonymous said...


Has Gordie Gilroy been tasked with putting bubblewrap on the Gatorade coolers?

Anonymous said...

Good point on the Rush! Haven't seen one digital billboard or anything promoting their games. I guess they're too important for Regina now! LOL


Tim

Anonymous said...


That Ricky Ray rumour may become fact! I have heard it too and its from someone inside the Riders organization.


Anonymous said...

Been to a Rush game, seen a Rush game. Had a good time. I'm done!

At the end of the day, I'll support Riders, Rams, Thunder, Cougars. Teams in my own backyard.


Russ

Anonymous said...

Alex Burrows?!