Pages

Monday, December 17, 2012

"Something To Mitch About"


Thankfully sports provided a break from the real world this weekend. The scenes out of Newtown, Connecticut have been beyond description and so, so sad. How could anyone do what this individual did. How can you shoot young children in cold-blood? Those kids had their whole lives in front of them and it was snuffed out in a second. Not only did he kill kids, but he killed a community as the lives of that entire town will never be the same. How can parents take their kids back to that school knowing what happened? How can kids actually walk back down those hallways? How traumatized must they be even though they got out safely? There's so much more I could say, but what can you say that hasn't been said already. All I know is I hugged my nine year old daughter a little tighter on Friday night and I know I will take her to school this morning and that hopefully she will be protected and safe. There is no guarantee of that happening as we found out Friday. It can happen seemingly anywhere and anyplace. Hopefully Regina or Saskatchewan never, ever has something like that happen.

-----
The sports world certainly did its part. It was touching to see the Miami Heat come out for their games Saturday with their kids on the floor with them and it was a noble gesture by the New York Giants to write the initials of the school on the backs of their helmet. No one can turn their head away from what happened and if the athletes provided anyone with a getaway from the horror and the sorrow that was felt, then sports did its job just like it has when any other disaster has happened.
----
I thought this weekend of NFL play would be fantastic I was wrong. The New England-San Francisco lived up to its hype---sort of. However, other games that I thought would be great were duds (Giants-Falcons, Saints-Bucs, Texans-Colts, Broncos-Ravens). The Niners certainly showed they can come back off the canvas as they just about let one get away to New England. Atlanta certainly sent a statement with a big win over the Giants and the Seahawks---well lets just say I didn't think and I dont think many others did either, that they would be the first team in 50 years to put up back to back 50 plus point efforts. They have been amazing to watch over the last two weeks. I didn't think San Francisco would beat New England meaning a division crown could go to the Seahawks, but full credit to the Niners for walking in a place where teams never win late in the season and grabbing the victory. Its not over yet as San Fran could lose to Arizona, but I doubt that happens.

----
How can the San Diego Chargers go into Pittsburgh last weekend and dominate the Steelers and then go home and get blown out by Carolina?
-----
Back to the Seahawks for a second....its always good when I can make some easy money off of them as I did by winning my bet on Bethubb.com this weekend. Any Niner fans out there, I'll be posting a bet later this week.
------
Don't tell me the book industry is dying. I was in Chapters on Saturday and it was full. It took me 20 minutes in line just to pay. The only bad thing about waiting in line for that long was someone in the line in front of me had a bad case of b-o and we kept having to walk into it. Not pleasant!
------
It has always been my mindset that I will not go out during the main shopping hours of the last Saturday before Christmas. That mindset will continue this time. Its bad enough out there at some places, but on the last Saturday before Christmas. NOPE!!  Many, many years ago I was in the West Edmonton Mall on the last Saturday before Christmas. I don't think I have to tell you what that scene was like.
-----
Is there any doubt that at some point this season, I will want to sit down with new Riders d-line coach Michael Sinclair. The guy spent many years in a Seahawks uniform and is one of their best ever defensive linemen. The stories that he has are likely great.
------
If the Blue Jays can't make the playoffs this year, they may never make it. I don't know if I'm sold on the R-A Dickey trade as I don't know if a 38 year old knuckleballer can have the success that he has had two years in a row, but we'll find out. While a lot are concerned about trading away some top prospects, there is no guarantee those prospects turn into solid major leaguers. I think a lot of people thought Toronto would trade JP Arencibia. The Jays know what type of big leaguer he is and hopefully will be. They can't say that about the prospects. One has to give Alex Anthopoulos credit though for making a splash and having people talk baseball in Canada.
------
I had someone show me an article that made me laugh this weekend because of a sentence or two. I won't say what it was or who wrote it. Lets just say that if the person that made the statement believes what was said, then he is truly delusional and I feel sorry for the organization that he represents---especially if you think it is better----WHICH IT ISN"T!!!
------
I have had many a person say they have enjoyed hearing me back on the radio this week as I've been doing the afternoon news on CKRM. The kind words have been nice to hear. Some have said "Have you ever done newscasts before??". The answer would be hell  yeah, I've done them for a long, long time. Thankfully the equipment at CKRM is very similar to what I had at CJME so its not that tough to get used to. Another system might get this technologically-challenged at times individual a little confoozed.
------
There's nothing better than spending a Saturday night with good people as you have some drinks, have some eats and tell some stories along with hearing some. That being said, I had no complaints with how my Saturday night went.
------
There's also nothing better than being with friends at the Victoria Club on a Friday night when High Impact Wrestling is on. Once again, it was an entertaining Friday capped off with a victory by "Thrillin Dylan" Robson who became the number one contender. He will get his shot at the prestigious belt next month. Get your tickets now!
-------
If the NHLPA dissolves, its my understanding that all contracts will soon be declared null and void. If that is the case, what happens when the day comes that the NHL returns. Is it a free-for-all amongst owners for players. I can't see that happening and if it does, how do the teams that can't spend money compete with the rich squads. I would have to think there is a gentlemans agreement in place amongst all owners that rosters would basically be the same as they were when the lockout hit.
----
I was also asked Sunday if there will be a season. I can't see it now. This de-certification vote will take a while and then the holiday season hits and I really can't see the two sides discussing things until after New Years. You had better get used to not seeing the NHL this winter. Unless something is done in a big hurry, I don't think there's time for a legitimate season to take place.
------
Is there a way Regina can get a game or two for the 2015 Womens World Cup of Soccer that will happen in Canada? I think that would be great. If the truth be told, I would love to see some form of professional soccer be played in the Queen City. I think that is something that if marketed properly could be a huge success in Regina.
------
The Candy Cane Hot Chocolate at Tim Hortons can make the cold weather bearable.
-----
That's all I got. Have a great Monday!









15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've also been in Chapters to get some books for Xmas shopping. There is no way people can say the book industry is dying from the amount of sales that place and I'm sure other bookstores have had. E-raders are great things, but they aren't the real thing.

Anonymous said...

You must be giddy over what your Seahawks are doing. Wilson looks to be the real deal.


Anonymous said...

Women in my office were crying Friday over what happened. Can you blame them? With the exception of 911, that may be the most heinous crime I have ever heard about. Gun control is needed in the US and its needed yesterday. That town will never ever recover emotionally from what that kid did.

Rob

Anonymous said...

Very good Blog Post today:

Some commentary on a few points:

1) H.I.W can have Wrestlers leave the program, but every month they put on a great show. A lot of laughs, and it was a fun time to sit with you and the rest of the group.

2) Kent Austin's "bloom" hasn't gone anywhere. The job Kent Austin has done at Cornell is on par with the job Turner Gill did with Buffalo. He took a College with zero expectation, and raised the stakes. To win 11 games at Cornell compared to the no games they won previous to him arriving says a lot. What is the expectation at Cornell? It is a hockey school that puts zero dollars into the football program or facilities. Kent Austin made something from nothing, and he'll be commended for it. When he arrives in Hamilton they are bonafide contenders. He'll settle Henry Burris down, and the Offense will carry forward. He will fix the defense, and get the right Coordinator on staff. It will not be hard, because he can get any Assistant Coach he wants as everyone knows he is a winner.

3) Being very sensitive to the situation in Conneticut I want to add one thing. If you are mentioning books at Chapters etc., I recommend a book titled A Safeway in Arizona. It is a commentary on the previous shooting spree that happened at a Safeway in Phoenix when a Congresswoman was present. It would appear in the United States as government cuts back funding to individual States one of the first things to be cut is services for Mental Health. Combine severe mental illness, access to military style guns, and an environment only described as a gun culture you have a time bomb waiting to happen.

Anonymous said...

Austin may or may not take the Tigercats to the next level (making the playoffs), but he didn't raise the bar at Cornell. In the three years prior to his stint as head coach, Cornell won 5, 4 and 2 games, going 11 and 19 from 2007 to 2009. Austin did get Cornell back off the ground, but only got them to where they had previously been (close to a .500 team).

I would wish Austin luck, but that would then include Burris. I expect the Tigercats to get better under Austin, but due to Burris I hope the Tigercats miss the playoffs again.

I will make the opposite prediction of some. The Riders will win two Grey Cups before Hamilton wins their next one.

Brad T

Anonymous said...

He didn't raise the bar? Tell me did you even know Cornell had a football team prior to him arriving? He set it plenty high, and frankly he should be the Head Coach at Ole Miss right now instead of going to Hamilton, but that's another topic for another day.

Obama

Anonymous said...

Hi Obama,

Does it truly matter whether or not I knew that Cornell had a college football team prior to Kent being hired? If it does, then it also matters on whether or not you knew what Cornell's pre-Austin record was before I brought it up.

And no, I certainly dont think that Kent raised the bar at Cornell. He did get their football program off the mat and back to being somewhat respectable, and he deserves lots of credit for that. But reading people's comments (between here and on Rod's blog) makes it sound like Kent should get sainthood for supposedly taking a team to heights they hadn't been at for decades (if ever) and that is is inconceivable that the Tigercats won't win the Grey Cup on Taylor Field in 2013.

You are certainly free to disagree with my interpretation of the facts, but perhaps you should also back up your opinion with some facts as well. Such as "Austin greatly raised the bar with the Riders, taking a 0.500 team to 12 and 6 and winning a Grey Cup, so I think he will do something similar with the Tigercats." Just make sure that your facts can't be disproven with a quick google search. Or if you wish, we can keep playing I'm right you're wrong, no I'm right you're wrong all day long.

Have a nice day.

Brad

Anonymous said...

Shut up obama!

Anonymous said...

The one who calls people idiots.

Anonymous said...

Hi Brad,

Actually at the end of the day I don't play the I'm right game....it's not a game when I always win baby! Let me tell you something when you have a body like mine and a face like mine you get to make the rules and say whatever you want.

Facts matter that's what you never realize. Kent Austin comes to Sasktachewan in 1989 - they win a Grey Cup. He goes to B.C - they win a Grey Cup. He goes to Toronto - they win a Grey Cup. He comes back to Saskatchewan - He wins a Grey Cup.

Facts matter. Kent Austin is a winner. I am a winnner and the Ti-Cats will be Grey Cup Champions in 2013 dattay - you can make book on that one.

Blessed Christmas to you and yours.

Obama

Anonymous said...

Hi Obama,

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure where you got the impression that I thought facts don't matter. Just to clarify on exactly what I am trying to convey, what I think does matter is whether a fact is true or if it is a "fact" that has been made up on the spot.

You might always win (hopefully it is due to the force and validity of your argument and not because your face turns people to stone), but unfortunately the rest of us mere mortals have to rely on research and truth in order to convince others that what we say might be correct.

I must commend you on your second paragraph. Thank you for taking my advice and using true facts to advance your position.

We will see which one of us is the better prognosticator. Unfortunately, my prediction might take a few years to come true (or decades, as it relies on the Riders).

I will end this with a Dirty Harry quote, "Yeah... you're a legend in your own mind."

To you, and anyone else that has the great (mis)fortune of reading this conversation, have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Brad T

Anonymous said...

Obama, Merry Christmas you Blowhard. Neil

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Fellas, always fun.

Obama

Anonymous said...

The "legend in his own mind" has spoken.

Anonymous said...

What are the odds Brad T and Obama are the same guy... Haha.