Monday, November 26, 2012
Big TV Numbers For Grey Cup
The 100th GREY CUP scored big on – and off – the field last night, as the country united to watch one of the biggest sporting events in Canadian history on TSN and RDS.
Preliminary overnight data from BBM Canada confirms that the 100th GREY CUP delivered an average audience of 5.5 million viewers on TSN, making it the most-watched CFL championship game ever recorded on English-language television.*
Meanwhile, an average audience of 5.8 million watched the 100th GREY CUP on TSN and RDS, marking a 28% increase in viewers compared to last year and earning an incredible national 16.1 rating. Audiences jumped even higher for younger viewers, with a 38% increase among A18-34.
Overall, more than 13 million Canadians – or more than one in three Canadians – tuned in to watch some or all of last night’s broadcast on TSN and RDS.
In the Toronto Extended Market, more than 3.6 million viewers watched some of the 100th GREY CUP on TSN – close to half the population in this market.
“It’s clear that Canadians embraced the GREY CUP like never before, making the 100th edition of the game an undeniable success not only for TSN and RDS, but also for the CFL and all Bell Media platforms that thoroughly supported the game this week,” said Stewart Johnston, President of TSN. “Yesterday’s 100th GREY CUP was an important milestone in Canadian history and we are all tremendously proud that we were able to share this game with fans across the country.”
"Tradition dictates that only the Grey Cup Champion Toronto Argonauts can hoist our iconic trophy above their heads, but so many Canadians wrapped their arms around the Grey Cup and lifted our league up in this historic year," said Mark Cohon, Commissioner of the Canadian Football League. "Today's television ratings are a testament to that fact, the strength of our league, and the love Canadians have for the Grey Cup."
• Audience levels for the 100th GREY CUP peaked at 7 million viewers
• The Sirius XM Grey Cup Half-Time Show delivered a 44% increase in viewers compared to last year’s halftime show, with an average audience of 6.1 million viewers tuning in for performances by Justin Bieber, Carly Rae Jepsen, Marianas Trench, and Gordon Lightfoot
• Audiences also spiked across all demos during the Sirius XM Grey Cup Half-Time Show
• The Toronto Extended Market recorded a 21.9 rating for the game, while the Calgary Extended Market recorded a 36.8 rating
• TSN’s critically-acclaimed documentary series, ENGRAVED ON A NATION, was watched by 8.1 million unique Canadian viewers since its debut
• TSN.ca recorded more than 38 million page views during Grey Cup Week (Nov. 19-26) with more than 7.5 million page views – and 1 million unique visitors – on Grey Cup Sunday alone
• TSN.ca’s new Field Access hub recorded 102,000 live streams for its companion viewing offerings on Grey Cup Sunday: live coverage of the pre-game warm-ups and an alternate angle of the game
• TSN.ca’s exclusive video content from the 100th GREY CUP garnered 475,000 video plays during Grey Cup Week
• A total of 91,000 unique fans took part in TSN.ca’s live chat on Grey Cup Sunday
• On social media, the 100th GREY CUP dominated the headlines on Facebook and Twitter, with “TSN” and “Brian Williams” among the top trends in Canada yesterday
• The 2012 VANIER CUP on Friday delivered a record-setting average audience of 910,000 viewers on TSN and RDS, making it the most watched CIS game in history