Pages

Monday, May 3, 2010

The End Of The Reaper?




I've had many great moments in my broadcasting career, but perhaps nothing was more special than being at the Rogers Centre on that Sunday night in November of 2007 when the Riders beat the Bombers to win the Grey Cup.

As I made my way into the Rider dressing room, there were many players I wanted to talk to. Schultz, Makowsky, Davis, and Reggie Hunt. Reggie was my favourite Rider for many years. When I found him, he was obviously a very happy man knowing that the championship he had sought after so many years had finally arrived.
When Eric Tillman failed to sign the linebacker in the off-season, he ended up in Montreal, but you knew his heart was still in Regina. Nonetheless, he had the chance for a 2nd straight Grey Cup that year as a member of the Alouettes. Being at that Grey Cup, I knew what Alouette I wanted to speak to first at their team lunch. I saw him before that get-together. I walked up behind him and said "Hello Reginald" (remember the Rob Murphy story). He turned around with a scowl only to break into a grin as he realized who had said it. We ended up having a good chat about his year in Montreal. He admitted to me that even if the Alouettes would have won that Grey Cup on home soil against Calgary that it wouldn't have meant as much to him as the ring he won with the Riders. Its because he was still Saskatchewan true and true.
Reggie played for the Eskimos last year, but he won't this year. He was released by the club on Monday. I wonder now if his CFL career is done. Is there any team out there that needs his services? Sadly I don't think there is.
Here's hoping Reggie decides to stay in Regina and here's hoping that some years down the road, he is a Plaza of Honor inductee. He deserves it.
------
I think I have told this story before, but I will tell it again. You see the picture of Reggie and I after the Grey Cup. That picture was taken by none other than Premier Brad Wall. I was looking for Gene Makowsky in the locker-room. When I found him, he was being interviewed by Willy Cole. I stood by waiting for Willy to finish when all of a sudden I saw this head peer around a locker-room stall. It was none other than the newly-minted Premier who had just taken office days before. Like every other Saskatchewan native, he was ecstatic over the win and like few Saskatchewan natives, he was enjoying the post-game celebration in the dressing room. He was like a kid in a candy store with mom's visa card in his hand. Could you blame him?
As I went to talk to Gene, the Premier noticed I had my camera with me and asked if he could take some shots. Who am I to turn down Brad Wall? He took shots of me with Geno, me with Reggie and me with James Johnson. If that political career ever ends for Brad, he can take up a career in photography. The shots were great.
-----
After getting blasted out of the water in Game 1 by Vancouver, the Hawks played the kind of hockey I knew they could play against the Canucks and evened that series up. While Philly is giving it their all, they just don't seem to have enough to match Boston. I don't think that series ends in 4, but it could be a short one.
-------
Raw broccoli is OK. Steamed broccoli, not so much!
-----
This car bomb in Times Square is quite the story. The devastation that could have caused is downright scary. As someone who watches '24" though, I couldn't help but wonder if Jack Bauer had something to do with that Pathfinder and its contents being rendered harmless.
-----
The talk of Steve Yzerman joining the Tampa Bay Lightning as their GM just isn't right. I don't care if its upper management or not, Steve Yzerman and the Detroit Red Wings are synonomous with one another. It won't sound right having him connected with another team.
-----
If you didn't see the start of "The Simpsons" Sunday night, check this out.....


-----
That's all I got. Hope your Tuesday is a good one!

No comments: