Winnipeg 4 Nashville 1
HELLEBUYCK SHINES AS JETS CLAIM GAME 1
Mark Scheifele scored twice and Connor Hellebuyck made 47 saves to help the Jets stifle the Predators in Game 1 of the first Second Round appearance in franchise history.
* Winnipeg earned a postseason victory in regulation despite being outshot 48-19, the largest negative shot differential in a win since the Flyers defeated the Capitals in Game 5 of the 2016 First Round, a game in which they were outshot 44-11. The Stanley Cup Playoffs record for the largest negative shot differential in a win is 37 – Chicago beat Boston in Game 3 of the 1975 Preliminary Round despite being outshot 56-19.
* Hellebuyck, who concluded Winnipeg’s First Round series against Minnesota with shutouts in Games 4 and 5, established a Jets/Thrashers franchise record for most saves in playoff game, eclipsing the mark of 37 set by Johan Hedberg in Game 2 of the 2007 Conference Quarterfinals vs. NYR and matched by Ondrej Pavelec in Game 2 of the 2015 First Round at ANA.
* Hellebuyck’s 47 save-performance on the road is the most by a goaltender in a regulation playoff victory since Craig Anderson recorded 48 saves in Game 1 of the 2013 Conference Quarterfinals.
* This is the second time in as many seasons where the team with the best record during the regular season faced off against the club with the second-best record (WSH vs. PIT, 2017 SR). There have been only three other such matchups in the last 30 years: DET vs. COL (1996 CF), NYR vs. NJD (1994 CF) and CGY vs. MTL (1989 F).
LIGHTNING, BRUINS SET FOR ATLANTIC DIVISION SHOWDOWN
The final series debut of the Second Round takes place on Saturday when the Lightning host the Bruins at AMALIE Arena in Tampa. The two teams battled for first place in the Atlantic Division and Eastern Conference until the final game of the 2017-18 regular season, with Tampa Bay (54-23-5, 113 points) earning the top seed (BOS: 50-20-12, 112 points).
* The Lightning and Bruins are meeting in the Stanley Cup Playoffs for the second time, with their lone other matchup occurring in the 2011 Eastern Conference Final. Tim Thomas stopped all 24 shots he faced and Nathan Horton scored the lone goal at 12:27 of the third period to lift Boston to a 1-0 victory in Game 7 at TD Garden. The Bruins then went on to capture their sixth and most recent Stanley Cup (4-3 W vs. VAN).
* Boston went 3-1-0 against Tampa Bay during the regular season (TBL: 1-3-0), with its lone loss coming in the season finale April 3 (4-0 L at TBL). Bruins defenseman Torey Krug paced all players with 1-5—6 in the season series.
2018 NHL DRAFT LOTTERY TO BE HELD SATURDAY IN TORONTO
The 2018 NHL Draft Lottery, which will determine the order of selection for the first 15 picks in the first round of the 2018 NHL Draft, will be held on Saturday in Toronto.
* New this year, the results of picks 15 through 4 of the NHL Draft Lottery will be announced live during the 2018 NHL Draft Lottery show beginning at 7:30 p.m. ET on Sportsnet, NBCSN, CBC, and TVA Sports. The remaining three picks will be revealed live on broadcast during the second intermission of the Golden Knights vs. Sharks game (8 p.m. ET, NBC, Sportsnet, CBC, TVA Sports).
* Three drawings will be made on Saturday: the 1st Lottery Draw will determine the club selecting first overall, the 2nd Lottery Draw will determine the club selecting second overall and the 3rd Lottery Draw will determine the club selecting third overall.
Post a Comment