Saturday, April 21, 2018

What Did You Miss Friday?

--The WHL conference finals are underway with the opener in each seeing the home team win by a score of 3-2

In Swift Current, Alexis Heponiemi's first goal of the playoffs at the 11:11 mark of the 3rd period was the game-winner as the Broncos beat Lethbridge 3-2.  Stuart Skinner had to be on the top of his game again as he stopped 39 of 41 shots against his old team.

In Everett, the Silvertips handed Tri-Cities their first loss of the playoffs with a 3-2 victory. Garrett Pilon had a pair for the Tips.


--The Winnipeg Jets are off to the 2nd round of the Stanley Cup playoffs.  They scored early and often in the first period as they beat Minnesota 5-0 to take that series in 5. 

Pittsburgh and Nashville were looking to move on, but the Flyers beat Pittsburgh 4-2 and Colorado beat the Predators 2-1 meaning a Game 6 in Philly and Denver.

--Carolina Hurricanes head coach Bill Peters has resigned, the team announced Friday.

Peters went 137-138-53 in his four seasons with the Hurricanes, who missed the Stanley Cup playoffs for the ninth consecutive season -- the longest drought in the NHL.

The Hurricanes also are without a general manager after Dundon, who took control of the Hurricanes in January after buying a majority stake in the franchise from longtime owner Peter Karmanos Jr., reassigned Ron Francis to a new role as president of hockey operations in March.  It is believed Peters will become the new head coach of the Calgary Flames as early as Monday.

--The CFL announced that after an extensive and thorough audit of all nine clubs, all nine were under the 5.15 million dollar salary cap.  It means the first round draft order does not change.  The salary cap for 2018 is 5.2 million. 

-- Chicago White Sox right-handed reliever Danny Farquhar was hospitalized after passing out in the dugout during Friday's 10-0 loss to the Houston Astros.

Farquhar faced four batters to finish the top of the sixth before he passed out after the inning, according to a team announcement during the game. He was attended to by White Sox medical personnel and on-site emergency medical technicians.

The team said Farquhar was conscious when he was taken from Guaranteed Rate Field to the Rush University Medical Center, where he was expected to receive further treatment and testing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Winnipeg Jets---Stanley Cup champions? Imagine the scene!